RSLogix 500 Ladder Logic Window Size

wildcatherder

Whenever the program starts, the bottom of the ladder logic window is behind the taskbar. I have to drag it down and resize it to see the scrollbar, every time.

I have tried the standard window tricks of closing with CTRL and the upper-right corner X, SHIFT and upper-right corner X, even CTRL-SHIFT and upper right corner X, which often causes the window's size to be remembered. In this case, the tricks don't work.

Admittedly, this is a minor problem but annoying.
Is there some way of getting this window to be the right size to start with?

It would probably be OK with "Hide Taskbar" but I find the popping up and down of the taskbar to be distracting. Also, grabbing the bottom scrollbar without activating the taskbar is tricky.

Adobe has a similar problem with some of their photo software.

I don't think what you are seeing is a RSLogix or Adobe issue.
I typically run RSLogix full screen. I maximize the window, then close the software. When I reopen, it is back to full screen. Perhaps that will work for the positioning you need.

Just make sure you only have one copy of the software open. I have found that when you have two copies open, the last one to close is the setting that gets "saved".

OG

Maximized is not a problem.

With multiple windows, they should start up properly sized for the available space.

When I have to share the screen with the Project window, both windows are too tall. It is less of a problem for the Project window because I'm not using it as often as the ladder logic window.

Last edited:
I wasn't suggesting you maximize the window. Let me clarify:

1. Open the software
  2. Position the window as desired
  3. Close the software
  4. Reopen. Hopefully it reused the setting from step #2.
That works on my machine.

I have never owned a piece of software that knew how much space I had on the screen and re-sized itself to fit. That is some pretty smart software!

By the way, if you accidentally close the ladder logic window, the only way to restore it seems to be with top menu

Window - Arrange - OK

In the Project Tree, double-click on the LAD you wish to open and it will open.

The Arrange feature is nice though in that it will open it and resize/reposition the windows to their original layout.

OG

What you describe is how it should work. I am glad that it works for you.

I tried the suggested procedure again to be sure. It simply does not work on my machine. Could be a difference in resolution, aspect ratio, Who knows?

It would be nice to hear from someone who had the problem and found a fix.

I did Windows technical support for ten years both in-house and freelance after taking a decade off from Engineering. Screen resolution and window size information is available to any software that properly consults the Windows API.

Last edited:
I did Windows technical support for ten years both in-house and freelance after taking a decade off from Engineering. Screen resolution and window size information is available to any software that properly consults the Windows API.

True, but I have never used a program that did what you have described.

So, I followed my own directions using RSLogix 500 on a Windows XP machine running at 1280x1024.

I then tried Microsoft Word 2007 on my Windows 7 Pro machine running at 1920x1200.

Both methods worked for me. In fact pretty much everything I try works that way.

Maybe someone else can offer an explanation. Sorry my methods didn't work for you.

OG

I do appreciate your time and effort. The "fiddly bits" that work for most people flawlessly are the hardest ones for which to get help.

Last edited:
Open RSLogix and maximize.
From the top choose "Window"
Then "Arrange"
From the options presented to you, tick the "Default Project"
Click "OK".
Hope this will work for you.

Or, try this shortcut key combo which was added to RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500 in rev. 7.2. Ctrl + k for a "Default Project" window arrangement.

Edit: This affects window arrangement within the application, not the placement of the application window itself. Miss-read the OP.

Last edited:
Operaghost was on the right track all along but bkottaras post starting with "Open RSLogix and maximize" made me realize where I had gone wrong.

The auto-sizing of "child" windows only works with reference to the main window. Although my main window appeared to fill the screen, it was not maximized and actually was extending off the bottom of the monitor, and arrange was making it fit that space.

I must have set the RSLogix non-maximized window size at a time when my resolution was higher than the current setting and it kept opening to that size, as it should.

As always, the forum has been both informative and very humbling. I have to admit it would have been hard to find someone else "silly" enough to have a window larger than their screen.

I used to use a Windows utility that could force maximizing of a program window whenever it opened. I'll have to dig that up.

Thanks again for the patience to continue offering advice for really, really simple problems.

Same as you - for years

Catherder:

I have had the same RSLogix 500 windows sizing issue for years. Some of your responders did not catch onto the issue and this explanation might help get better, directed answers.

Opening RS500.exe directly (no application selected) may result in a normal, sized window each time. Most of us wish to use a full screen/maximized window for our work. This can easily be handled by selecting "Run: maximized" in the rs500.exe windows shortcut.

Unfortunately, this does not work when double-clicking on an .RSS app to auto load an RSLogix 500 file. The window will be sized and placed via some mysteriously predetermined setting. THESE are the settings I wish to override and set as maximized/full screen instead.

Any feedback on this?