Getting Started With WonderWare

demmons

I am going to be tasked with developing a new In Touch 9.0 application soon. My experience with WonderWare has been limited to getting into Windowmaker, building screens and correcting tags on existing applications. I have noticed that every application I have worked with has had a different communication set up.

Having worked almost exclusively with Allen Bradley and their HMI products, I am a little lost (okay a lot lost) with any communications protocols not involving RSLinx. :oops:

I will be connecting an AB industial PC to a controllogix PLC via ethernet, below are the details:
  • Versa View 6177RM4PXP running Windows XP
  • InTouch 9.0
  • Controllogix 1756-L55M12 via 1756-ENBT module
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start in setting up the communications?

Thanks

help you?

Hi demmons... Here is a little info and some pics.
You need to configure DASABCIP in Archestra Management Console. This takes care of almost all you need. This configuration of the DASABCIP configures a specific connection to a single processor (IP). Then you set up the access name in Intouch the DASABCIP that you configured above. I cannot tell you very well all that you have to do but I have included some pics here which demonstrates our config.

Last edited:
So basically this is your system architecture (50830-01.gif)

First is to setup your RSLinx to communicate with your PLC. Create a OPC/DDE topic in the RSlinx that point to the target PLC ( 50830-02.gif).
Wonderware is communicate using DDE natively which is compatible with RSLinx (only the OEM, Pro and Gateway support OPC/DDE server function).
Now setup the communication in the Wonderware by creating a new access name. Use "RSLinx" as Application Name and the topic name should match the topic name create in the RSLinx (50830-03.gif).
Last create all the tag you want to read from the PLC. The Item should match with the actual tag inside the PLC (50830-04.gif).

Now you are ready for your upcoming project! 🍺

50830-01.gif 50830-02.gif 50830-03.gif 50830-04.gif

For wonderware PC..Do not do following windows XP updates;
  • KB974112
  • KB969059
  • KB973869
  • KB971557
Then it will be okay...

One more pic of Acces Name config

attached jpeg - Ignore the Enable Secondary Source... this is optional and dependent on your system.

wwlogix06.jpg

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the feedback.

What I am seeing is two different ways using RSLinx or Archestra.

These are two of the configurations I have seen in the past along with WWRSLinx a long time ago.

I appreciate the screenshots and the time it took to make them, as well as the XP update information.🍺

If you guys were here you would get a round of Yuengling on me!

So basically this is your system architecture (50830-01.gif)

First is to setup your RSLinx to communicate with your PLC. Create a OPC/DDE topic in the RSlinx that point to the target PLC ( 50830-02.gif).
Wonderware is communicate using DDE natively which is compatible with RSLinx (only the OEM, Pro and Gateway support OPC/DDE server function).
Now setup the communication in the Wonderware by creating a new access name. Use "RSLinx" as Application Name and the topic name should match the topic name create in the RSLinx (50830-03.gif).
Last create all the tag you want to read from the PLC. The Item should match with the actual tag inside the PLC (50830-04.gif).

Now you are ready for your upcoming project! 🍺

Do not use this method....way too inefficient. Use the DAServer instead.