Hazardous Area Question

Chado613

Does anyone know if using Blue wireway on a control panel for wiring going to a class 1 div 1 area is required?

How about a class 1 div 2 area?

I cant find anything about this in the CSA. Im wondering if it is just good practice and not required?

Thanks

What is blue wireway? EMT rigid or??

I have only seen hazardous ie Class 1 div 1 or 2 done with rigid or with approved adapters for SO and other flex cord

Dan Bentler

Yes sorry, the above link is what I mean.

I am talking only about conductors leaving a control panel going into the field

It is typical to use blue for I.S. wireway and conduit. Which I presume you mean I.S., a type of wiring method (there are other's) for Class I, Division 1 area.

It's not typical for XP wiring in a Class I Division 1 area.

AFAIK, there is no NEC Code requirement. It may be mentioned in UL508.

Google "intrinsically safe blue" and you'll get some more information.

I was not specifically refering to I.S. or Non-incendive. I am aware of other wiring methods.

My question just was if blue wire way (panduit, wire duct, wire trough) was a requirement for any Class 1 area.

I do think you helped answer my question "AFAIK, there is no NEC Code requirement"

Thank you the Dave2

Yes sorry, the above link is what I mean.

I am talking only about conductors leaving a control panel going into the field

The vagueness of this is giving me fits. When you say conductor what are you talking about 240 480 4160 or low voltage signal or communication.

If you have intrinsically safe which is approved for the area you can have it sitting out in the open and run intrinsically safe conductors / cable however you want - almost. you avoid having to put it in conduit.

Check your equipment listing and the connecting cable and make sure all is intrinsically safe. If not you will probably have ot use a conduit or cable system that complies with NEC (or CSA in your case) hazardous area requirements.

Dan Bentler

I have never seen a Code that spells out the blue panduit. It is however an industry standard. What that means is in certain industries (Chemical is main one) it is expected. Do a google search on NAMUR. It is an internatinal standard and you will see the blue panduit and wires refered to there.

We do some work were our customers request this standard. Personnaly I think it is a good standard

The vagueness of this is giving me fits. When you say conductor what are you talking about 240 480 4160 or low voltage signal or communication.

If you have intrinsically safe which is approved for the area you can have it sitting out in the open and run intrinsically safe conductors / cable however you want - almost. you avoid having to put it in conduit.

Check your equipment listing and the connecting cable and make sure all is intrinsically safe. If not you will probably have ot use a conduit or cable system that complies with NEC (or CSA in your case) hazardous area requirements.

Dan Bentler

The conductors I mentioned before coming from the Control Panel, could be 120VAC, 24VDC, or network it doesnt matter.

I apprecaite the information you provided but doesnt have anything to do with my original question.

I have never seen a Code that spells out the blue panduit. It is however an industry standard. What that means is in certain industries (Chemical is main one) it is expected. Do a google search on NAMUR. It is an internatinal standard and you will see the blue panduit and wires refered to there.

We do some work were our customers request this standard. Personnaly I think it is a good standard

Thank you this was very helpful

No, it's not a requirement, blue wireway and blue jacketed cable is just a way of distinguishing between Intrinsic Safe and Non Intrinsic Safe wiring. I don't believe it's mandated just common practice.
Roy

hazardous location

Class one Div 1 is now called class 1 zone 1. Intrinsically safe is labeled as (i), (ia) , (ib).
Flame proof = (d)
increased safety = (e)
oil immersed = (o)
pressurized = (p)
etc etc..All equipment must be labeled for its application. Read section 18-066 of the code. Appendix B and appendix F. Also there may be amendments for your province.