Industrial Computer 6181P

Arabesque

Hello

I just bought on Ebay this industrial computer: VersaView 1200P 6181P. It is in mint condition. The seller had powered it up and it worked fine before selling it.

Once I received it I powered it up. It just wont boot.

The two fans and the CDrom work fine. I've hooked up another display and still nothing.

Does anybody knows what could cause this failure?

I never used this type of computers, they must just like any other computers I believe, am'i correct?

Thank you for your help.

I've dealt with a lot of VersaViews and they worked pretty well. If you don't have a warranty on it, just crack the case and look to see if any cards came loose. Pay special attention to the RAM. They act just like a regular PC does. Some have thier OS on a memory card (DOC), others use hard drives. There are different options they can have but ultimately just a PC inside. Ours had RSView running as a service after Win2000 loaded, but we had some running XP also. The biggest issue with them was overheating in cabinets located in 'stale' zones. Keep that in mind if you get it going and install :)

All seems fine.

Ok.

I had already opened up the case.

The RAM seems fine, there is a tie wrap that keeps the two clamps fastened.

I noticed that there is a Compact Flash slot for a card, is it possible that the OS is located....or was located there?

This computer will be located in an air conditioned room. I appreciate the tip though.

Thank you.

Well...

The box was smashed in. That made a small dent in the box. There was allot of bubble plastic around it ans it didn't seem to have been punctured.

Tks.

Nothing

I did make further check, and still nothing.

I was wondering why it doesn't boot. The screen doesn't even light up. It's a touch screen.

I just contacted the seller about if there was a flash from with the OS would boot.

To try I've put a Windows XP CD in the CD ROM and it didn't boot from it either.

When I plug the power the fans go on and that's it. CD tray opens and closes.

There is a minuscule hole for the rest. Even that doesn't work.

What would you suggest for the factory reset?

To factory reset,
1. Remove power source. (turn power off)
2. While depressing the reset button, I use a paper clip or break a toothpick in half, careful, you will feel it being "clicked in", don't press to hard, then turn power on while holding the reset. The VersaView will be "factory default reset" and this should also erase any applications. Release the button after a second or so...

That Industrial Computer does have a bootstrap compactflash card I think. I have had to remove the binding for the card and removed it then reseat it being careful to line it up properly.
Another known problem with the VersaView is backlight power supply failure, hope that is not the case here.

Last edited:
I am also thinking you might want to attach a keyboard to it. You may be able to get it to beep by using a ctrl-b function. The fact it does not activate the drive or external video might be because of a terminal setup boot configuration.
Let us know and perhaps if your still having problems Ken Roach may have some more ideas, we do have elves here.

Last edited:
Ok....

As the computer was unplugged since my last attempt I did as you suggested and held the reset with a small screw driver.

Next attempt was to unplug it for about 30 sec with a keyboard, I powered it up holding CTRL+B...nothing.

As for the back light is it easy to test?

If you hooked up an external display to it, then it would have worked versus the built in if the backlight was out. Normally if I see the fans work and the cd drive then you could be looking at a bad main PS. However, I've also seen that the power button doesn't get pressed to 'turn on' the PS rails. There should be a small square rocker switch on that back side business end that is normally open and spring return. That may be the culprit, ohm it out. Beyond that. There should be some pins on the inside labeled +15v -15v +5v -5v or such. Give them a measure against ground with your DMM. Did you spy any hard drives built in? If you did, remove it and power up the unit. It should at least go through bios checks without it before saying NO OS LOADED.

Getting depressed!

All right....

I did remove the IDE cable from the hard drive and that didn't do any thing.

Next I unplugged the power switch. I was trying to understand what "OHM it out" ment.

I understand that the computer is set to go on the moment power is applied to it, when the main power is turned on the machine.

I've checked on the motherboard to locate any +5, -5. +15, -15 but I didn't see any.

Can any other computer power supply do the work for these computers. I have a spare one.

Thank you again for your help.