PTC wiring in encoder cable

Plc_User

We want to use spare wires in the encoder cable to wire also the ptc of the motor. Only thing I am worried about is the voltage drop on the wires. The standard cable we use have wires of 0.35 mm2 or 22AWG and the cables have a maximum length of 50m or 160 feet. Will this cause trouble?
Thanks

We want to use spare wires in the encoder cable to wire also the ptc of the motor. Only thing I am worried about is the voltage drop on the wires. The standard cable we use have wires of 0.35 mm2 or 22AWG and the cables have a maximum length of 50m or 160 feet. Will this cause trouble? Thanks

Uhhhh what is ptc in a motor?
Dan Bentler

A PTC is a motor thermistor and if you see how they are placed in a motor winding you would think twice before you ran the wire from a PTC thermistor in with most other wiring.

If wires chafe, or motor burns out, there is a remote possibility of a supply voltage being introduced into that cable, which would have no real effect on the thermistor, but could affect other items such as your case encoders.

I am with Gil47 on this one. The risk of getting mains voltage on the low voltage circuit far outweighs the benefit. Run the extra cable!!!!

Bryan