Help with a Telemechanique Part Number

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have some contactors and I need to know the coil voltage, but they're obsolete and I haven't had any luck searching the web.

Telemecanique LP4-EC 09

They are 4 pole iec style contactors and I am not sure if the coil voltage is 24VDC.

Thanks,
Paul

OK to preach to choir
1. if in existing system check coil line voltage
2. If coils are in spares stock and ID has rubbed off ie have only P/N and no volt ID try one on 12 VDC and see what happens on bench test. Can you get volt and current specs then check current and voltage? Then try 24 VDC I guess. Yes I know you should use AC coils on AC and DC on DC but when not labeled how else to determine?

OR order new ones and throw these away.

Dan Bentler

Good advice, I can remember going through the lab at school. Coils, very interesting devices.
1. Check D.C. resistance of the windings, use a VOM that has at least a 9 volt battery in it.
2. Reverse the test leads and check the resistance again, if nothing else it should be the same. If you notice a strange reverse reading or a slowly increasing reading then you should probably throw them away.
3. If for any reason you are not sure of the electrical integrity of the activation coils then THROW them away!
4. If you have no idea what they are used in then throw them away.

Murphy Law #3
If it is 3 feet or shorter, and you have not held it in your hand in the last 3 years, you don't need it. Chances are, someone thought they were needed at some time, seems they were not needed.

Murphy Law #10, anyone care to guess?

Last edited:
Thanks for trying, but those aren't quite the same model. I have ordered new parts with the correct voltage.

They will go into a pallet wrapping machine to retrofit the controls which are missing some pieces (so I can't fire it up to check things). I think they are 12vdc coils, but the limited scraps of paper I have on this machine are not clear. There are two small 12vdc relays, on a similar circuit and the old controller had a 24vdc control circuit for input devices as well, but it isn't clear that these contactors were fed by the 12vdc or the 24vdc circuit since the old controller is drawn as a black box and is MIA.

I think I will smoke test one of them in the office with a spare (fused) power supply...see how much current it pulls...what's the worst that could happen?