panelview + 700 setting up alarms

stu

hi guys, i am trying to set up some alarms on the screen when an e/stop is pressed or if a timer has timed out ? what is the best way to do this? i am using factory talk studio. thanks for your time, stu

hi guys, i am trying to set up some alarms on the screen when an e/stop is pressed or if a timer has timed out ? what is the best way to do this? i am using factory talk studio. thanks for your time, stu
I use an integer to drive alarms on the PV.
If Current_alarm=1, display message associated with value of 1.
If Current_alarm=2, display message associated with value 2 and so on.
Map each of the alarms in the PLC to the same Ineteger register (Current_Alarm).
1=E-stop PB
2=Generic Alarm
3=Some other alarm
and so on.

Use the Alarm Banner to display the current alarm.
Or, you could use the Alarm History banner.
Up to you.

When setting up the Alarm Banner, use the "Value" for the trigger (which will be your Current_alarm register).
When resetting the existing Alarms, MOV a "0" to the Current_Alarm register.
It clears the exisitng alarms, and the Alarm Banner disappears from the PV screen, unless there's an active alarm in which case it will show up again.

You may try to latch alarms and display or rotate messages for multiple existing alarms.

Hope this helps.

would it be possible to show me on a bit map. please thanks stu
Here you go.
As stated, a value will drive the Alarm Message Display text (See the PLC logic JPG).
The value is written to the tag PV_Alarm_Display.
This is your trigger value as shown in the JPGs (you define each message to be displayed on the banner and assign a value to it).
I used the build in [Alarms] banner which you have to define in RSView (you define the display under the Advanced tab of the Alarm setup in RSView). You can delete the default and create your own Alarm Banner as well.
Hope this helps.

Alarm_Messages.jpg Alarm_Triggers.jpg Alarms_Advanced.jpg Alarms_Logic.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for that could i do it the same way in rslogix 500? what clear button are you using is it the one on the alarm banner? stu

thanks for that could i do it the same way in rslogix 500? what clear button are you using is it the one on the alarm banner? stu
Similar setup in 500.
Just map your alarms to an integer file (N:7.x or so).
You are looking for value as well.

I usually use a hardwired "Reset" button to clear any pending alarms (check out the "Remote" stuff within the Alarm setup) but you can use the build in buttons to "clear" "Acknowledge" and such from within the Alarm Banner display.

Here you go.
As stated, a value will drive the Alarm Message Display text (See the PLC logic JPG).
The value is written to the tag PV_Alarm_Display.
This is your trigger value as shown in the JPGs (you define each message to be displayed on the banner and assign a value to it).
I used the build in [Alarms] banner which you have to define in RSView (you define the display under the Advanced tab of the Alarm setup in RSView). You can delete the default and create your own Alarm Banner as well.
Hope this helps.

WHAT DATA TYPE IS PV_Alarm_Display? I've been trying with a DINT and using the PV_Alarm_Display.1, .2, .3 and so on so the bit trigger the alarm but is not working... Can i use a DINT array to trigger the Alarms or should i use anothe data type?

WHAT DATA TYPE IS PV_Alarm_Display? I've been trying with a DINT and using the PV_Alarm_Display.1, .2, .3 and so on so the bit trigger the alarm but is not working... Can i use a DINT array to trigger the Alarms or should i use anothe data type?

Yes, you can use a DINT, or an INT. Either will work just fine. My guess is that your problem lies in how you have your trigger set-up. If you are moving specific unique values to "PV_Alarm_Display" to correspond to unique alarm messages for each alarm condition, as in the .jpg's posted above, then you have to use the "Value" type trigger, not the bit-type.

yes, you can use a dint, or an int. Either will work just fine. My guess is that your problem lies in how you have your trigger set-up. If you are moving specific unique values to "pv_alarm_display" to correspond to unique alarm messages for each alarm condition, as in the .jpg's posted above, then you have to use the "value" type trigger, not the bit-type.

thank you very much!!! You were right, i just change de trigger to value instead of bit and it works!...