Siemens S7 cable pinouts

svennils

Hi folks,
I've aquired 2 original siemens adapters,
1 MPI/DP cable, 6ES7972-0CA23-0XA0,
1 PC/MPI cable, 6ES7901-2BF00-0AA0,
and a siemens s7-300 Cpu 315)
The latter 2 coming from from the same decommisioned cabinet, in working order.

I just bought the PG2000 programming package from Process-Informatik to modify some old S5's, got the cables needed for s5 use. The SG2000 also supports S7, so i'd like to play with the new(old) 315 cpu too.

The PLC to adapter side is ok for both the adapters (the S7 was connected to the PC/MPI cable for modem diagnostics).

What i dont have is the right pinout for the adapter to pc connection. the PC/MPI one has a 6pin RJ connector going to a 25pin dsub modem plug, and the MPI/DP one has a 9pin Dsub male.
I called siemens once and got a pinout for the MPI/DP cable (cut and splice a serial cable myself) and never got i to work. Has anyone got the pinouts for these? The PC/MPI can probably be reverse engineered by looking at the connections inside the 25pin modem plug, but the other one?

I'd like to play withe the s7 series since i've go one for free, been doing s5/telemecanique(schneider) for a while.
Thanks in advance.
Sven.

Dear SVen,

Check whether your PG supports Rs 232 communication or not. If it does not support it, you cannot use PC/MPI

Regards

Palitha

more testing

Palithad; the pg is a standard pc with programming package, lets you select which com port, and works with s5. Should be ok for s7 serial comms too. Update: I did some testing last night and made an adapter cable for the modem end of the pc/mpi to fit the pc. I'm runnung PG2000 on a standard windoze box with serial port, works fine with the s5 cable. No response with either s7 cable. When playing with a terminal program and the cables, the Mpi/dp cable returns blank spaces to anything i type when the correct baudrate is selected, matching the hardware switch 19,2/38,4 kbaud. And only when plugged into the plc(provides the power). The pc/mpi cable does not return anything at any baudrate. I'll play around more after i finish my current S5 project (a metal milling machine).

PC/MPI cable cannot work with standard PG as they don't have RS 232 port, you can try the PC/MPI with a normal computer or laptop to communicate with s7-300.

If you want a cable that works with normal PC and the PG same way you have to get USB to MPI converter cable.

You can use a MPI cable to communicate between PG Rs 485 port and the PLC (straight forward without any conversion)

Best Regards

Palitha