plc tag description

macgioo2

I have tried to access the plc (AllenBradley Compact logics) tag description using Factory talk SE but it doesn't seem to be able to see the object any ideas???

SE Cannot as far as I know read the description field from a PLC.

You can refer to an HMI tag description field from a display, but only if you make the tag an HMI tag.

You can use the stupidly broken "TAG Import/Export" tool to bring thing in to the FTView SE or ME HMI tag database, but that does an incomplete job (which Rockwell will not correct).

OK thanks, I've created HMI tags as strings to get around this and put them in a macro which loads when the display is opened.

Currently though I am having trouble accessing the plc tags in the hmi. I can see them when I browse tags, but my parameter file does not seem to be able to see them.

Have I got the syntax right, or do I need to declare these tags again in the hmi under "device tags"

event5.jpg event6.jpg

The syntax for the parameter file may be correct, it depends on how you are using them in the display.

It is an absolute, direct substitution.

In a parameter file for example:

#1=[MyIOServer]
#2=[TheOtherServer]

In a display, say on a visibility tag:

#1MyIoPoint

On loading the display, with that parameter file, the tag would expand to [MyIoServer]MyIoPoint

As you can see from the attachment, I have inserted the placeholder {#1} in the color field.

Is this not equivalent to what you have, I don't understand?

The only way I can get my code to work is if I redefine the plc tag in factorytalk tags and point the address to the plc as a device tag.

This can't be right?

event7.jpg