Red lion G3 email

Mbeavers34

Anybody using the G3 email feature?
I have tried a few things but haven't been able to get it to send me an email.
I'm sure (well pretty sure) it has to be one of my settings but.....which one?
I have mail manager enabled.
I'm connected to the same network as the G3 with my laptop
I can ping the G3 so, I know the ip address is good.
I get the time from a NIST server so, I know I have internet connectivity.
SMTP settings should be correct. (using the same IP, port, username, and password that I use to log on from my laptop.)

I have an alarm tag set up that when it's true it sends an email to contact 1 (my yahoo account).

Also wrote a short script that is activated when the button is pressed.
SendMail(1, "Test Subject Line", "Test Body Text");

Does anybody have a setup for hotmail, yahoo, etc. that they would be willing to share?
Or is there a good way to test my assumptions that everything is correct?

Thanks
Michael

Have you set up the SMTP sectionon the mail manager. I use this feature a lot but we are on our own mail server here not a Yahoo account.

o_O

Yes, I have it set up. We actually have our own mail server too, but I haven't been able to get it to work with the G3. I created a Gmail account thinking maybe it was something with our email server but even with the Gmail setup I haven't been able to get it to work.

I have had no luck using Gmail or Yahoo to send emails. We use, and have recommended using a 3rd party mail server (AuthSMTP.com) that charges a very fair fee to send emails. Send me a email (dany at redlion.net) and I will give you the settings for our account, so you can give it a try.

Regards,
Dan

Basically Dan suggested using AuthSMTP. Its a third party program for SMTP mail relay and only cost a couple $ per month. Once I got the IP address and port set up in the G3 it worked just fine. For what it's worth I had similar problems getting SMTP to work when setting up a 'PINK' board on a parallax micro-controller. Took a while working with the IS guys to get the right settings and had to send the board back in for a software update. Seems the mail servers are adding more security and more options are needed on the client side.

Michael

I had the same probles... our email server was in AZ and I could not get any help from the IT dapartment there