Frequency Sampling

BeetleBailey

I am new to PLCS.Net but I am searching for what I hope is a simple solution. I have a 0-10V Pulse Output at 5-3500 Hz. I would like to measure frequency with fast response time and have the output tied directly with an Allen Bradley PLC.

Is there a simple module I can add into the PLC?

Please educate the mechanical engineer.

Thank you for your time.

Not knowing your hardware I would suggest a frequency transmitter that converts frequency to 4-20 mA signal. Then you can use regular analog inputs without having to use a counter module.

Frequency detection is a pain to do with a PLC especially what you want to do. Converting the signal to a standard signal is the easiest way. Use a Redlion, or Action Instruments freq to mA converter to do this. You also can find these on Omega.com.

There is a fast counter modules available at least for Allen-Bradley PLC, but I'm not sure what is a freq. limits. They would take you input directly. If 2 expensive - take a regular 4-20 mA module and some sort of frequency transmitter between your signal and PLC

It all depends on which AB PLC you're using. There are micros with counter inputs built in. If you're using a slot based processor then the frequency to 4-20ma converter is a good call especially if you've only got one frequency to measure.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)
(Yosi)