RSLinx with Belkin USB/RS232

Arabesque

I've been using a Belkin USB to RS232 to communicate from my laptop to a PanelView 1000 and I never had an issue. And for my SLC5 I used the com port 1.

So I never used the Belkin with my laptop to communicate to a SLC processor.

I decided to move the activation keys to my RSLogix 500 to my PC so I could work with more ease. As the Belkin does work efficiently on the laptop why not with the PC. My PC doesn't have a RS-232 com port.

The drives work well and I've checked in the Device Manager which com port my Windows has assigned to it.

In my RSLinx Lite I configure the driver as a RS-232 DF1 device. I matched the baud rate and selected the SLC-CH0. Next I do auto-configure. Here is the message I get: Unable to open COM port for auto-configuration testing!

I changed the COM port number in the Device manager and updated it using the right button and choosing scan for hardware changes. The correction is then made to the Belkin and it's assigned COM port no.

I go back to RSLinx. Then back to the drivers. I chose to delete the previous one and set a new one again. The auto-configure fails again. And the SLC is well hooked and the power is on.

Any body can help me?

What operating system are you using? There are issues with XP's SP3. And of-course Vista. What ver. of RSLinx do you have?

Last edited:
It appears to me that you have two DF1 RS232 ports running at the same time .
If that is the case change startup tab so that you need to start the driver required manually .

the CRC and BCC are in conflict and both want to own the driver

Some time USB converter work well with certain PC and dos not work with other.
Any converter I tried do not work.I use Dell E6500
I use Quatech Express Card and it work very good.It is expensive (150$)but it worth.

I wonder which component could be using a COM port. My mother board doesn't have any physical one.

Strangely enough there is a COM port 4.

On RSLinx configure a driver pop up window there was no drivers running. I had not installed this software until shortly ago when I decided to do some work on a larger screen (getting old I guess).

I simply followed the step to set a driver.

I only want to test/simulate a machine at home before replacing the actual PLC.

I have a 1761-NET-ENI module and an unused Ethernet jack on my motherboard, perhaps I should get the PC to communicate with the PLC this way. I never set it up this way. I'm going to get familiar with the 1761-UM006E-EN-P publication from AB's web site.

I have had another read of your first post, and am now wondering if, the usb comms number may be wrong.
This come to light in post 6 when you say comms 4 is in use this maybe the belkin USB .
USB ports also use comms port numbers so do modems.

Try plugging the belkin usb into a usb port, then go to device manager and find out which port it is plugged into, then in RSLinx assign that number as your comms port number.

Have you installed and run the Belkin software to configure this device? I have not used the Belkin but, maybe it's similar to what I use.

I use the Keyspan USB to Serial device and I've noticed I get the same error you're getting until I launch the Keyspan software. The software has to be running while I'm using the device.

I've also encountered this problem in the past when the RSlinxNG.exe process is running. I believe this process is used for RSLinx Enterprise which is used for the RSView family. Whenever I had an issue where RSLinx couldn't open the serial port, I would shutdown RSLinxNG.exe and the port would become available. Goto Windows Task Manager, select Processes tab and look for RSLinxNG.exe.

You have a point...

I've unpugged the Belkin and the COM port component disapeared from the list.

This must be a sign.

I will try it again via the COM port 4. Maybe it's Schneider's Zelio Soft 2 that caused that. I have to upload a ladder in a Zelio programmable relay and it used the COM port 4 for a USB cable.

Its not the software that gets assigned the comms port number.

It is the hardware that gets assigned the comms port, when it is plugged into a USB Comms port, and it appears that the Belkin, when plugged into that particular USB port, gets assigned Comms 4.
If you were to plug it into another USB port,on that computer , the number would be different, possibly, Comms 5 or a higher number yet again, if it as never been connected through that particular USB port.