RSView32 - Project Load Time?

rlmts

Hi,

I have just installed RSView32 v7.4 CPR9 to my XP Pro PC.

A 'back up' (using the 'transport' utility from a working project on one of our machines) was restored to this new installation, again using the 'Transport' utility.

I have 2 questions...

1. The project takes at least 5 minutes to load into RSView32 Works, but it does not fail to load.

Can anyone explain why this may be happening?

2. Also, on the first load of this backed up and restored project, RSView complains that the tag database has been accessed by a 3rd party software and may need re synchronising.
(It has not been accessed by 3rd party software, it came from a machine with the same version of RSView32)

Message given....
"The Tag Database has been accessed by another Project, or by third party software. If any changes were made, the Tag Database will have to be re-synchronized.
Would you like to synchronize now?"

Any ideas anyone?

Connecting to server 40 percent.jpg TagDatabase Access.jpg

The Transport utility was probably the 3rd party. Don't worry about it, that is typical when you move to a new software revision or a new PC. It should only need to re-synch one time though.

IF you let it re-synch, does it take 5 minutes each time, or was in 5 minutes that one time and you haven't reloaded since?

OG

Does works take that long to load or the project itself. I've seen works itself do this with the newer factory talk licenses, but not the app once works is opened.

Thanks Rob,
RSView32 Works loads quickly enough, it's the project that takes ages.
Even the supplied 'samples.rsv' takes forever?!
'Egg Timer' mouse when on RSview Window.
Could it be something to do with my virus checker? (AVG 9)
(Not yet sure how to temp disable AVG to test this idea)
If I open a window on top of the RSView window, I can't call RSView back via the Taskbar buttons until it has finished loading
rlmts

I doubt AVG is affecting things here.

I think one of the issues I have run in to is all of the Datalog files and Activity and Alarm logs taking time to load. In my case there were a whole bunch of small files that took forever to load.

Since you have moved the files from one machine to another, then possibly these files aren't as important. Maybe move all of those .dbf files to another location and see if that makes a difference.

OG

What I describe below may be a fix for your situation it has for me on many occasions .

This I have posted before.
Sometimes when edits are done in RSView 32, the project just does not want to release the cache files, and tries to keep running on previous settings.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.

I know you have done this (as have I) but as always, it is a good idea to move the files first instead of deleting. Just in case.

I know they get rebuilt, but you know ......just in case.

OG

Thanks OG and Gil47.

I have tried deleting the cache files and the 'projectname'.cac file, rebooting etc, but it still takes ages to load the project (timed it this time at 7 minutes)

And don't forget my comment about the supplied 'samples.rsv' project taking ages too.

I fear it must be something to do with my PC set-up because the same project on the PC that's on the machine loads fairly quickly?

What do you think RSView's doing at 40% on my PC when it's saying 'connecting to server' ?

There aren't any files in the ALMLOG or ACTLOG folders.
The project is quite small, .rsv project file = 78KB

What comms do you have connected to the RSView32

Have a look through Channels and Nodes in your project to see if you have them setup correctly.
Post screen shots.

Are you using OPC through RSLinx and has it been setup correctly.
Again a screen shot would help.

Do you have the activation on your machine, or does it need to find it on a server.

Thanks Gil47.
I have now resolved the problem. I'm glad you mentioned RSLinx!

I didn't think it was needed for doing 'offline' work (well it isn't if you are prepared to wait 7 minutes for project to load!)

My 'Firewall' was preventing RSLinx from running on my home PC (which is where I am currently working on the project)

I didn't realise until I opened the RSLinx Control Panel and tried to start it... big screen splash saying Firewall had prevented access! But I didn't get that 'splash' whilst project was stalled during load? Clicked on 'always allow' and has loaded ok since.

At the 40% mark I now see the RSLinx 'chain' icon appear in the Windows 'Notification Area'

Thanks everyone!