Question About Runtime Source Protection- Logix5k

sopenco

I'm new to PLC programming and am curious to know what kind of protections are available for a Logix5000 program running on a machine. If for instance the original source of a program was lost, can I just download it from the machine it's running on? Are there instances wherein I can and can't? If there is a system of source protection, in a dire emergency, is there a way around it? Thanks in advance...

Chaser question then (if I may lean a bit more): is there any such protection on Logix500? The reason I'm asking all this, our company has a plc programmer who's more than disgruntled at the moment, but we need him to finish this project. I'm assigned to learn his code, keep it running, and part of that is assessing our present vulnerability. What a joy, right?!

Also, if you know of any other potential vulnerabilities I maybe should look into that just haven't occurred to me, your suggestions would be more than a little appreciated!