Automation Direct V Memory (RAM EE memory)

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello everyone,

I have a customer that needs help with V Memory and I am not am not very good maybe someone here can help...

We have gone through the manual but its still not very clear

FROM MY Customer.... I use the C-more touch panel to control the DL05. I want to write a ladder program for a control. The program will include 10 timer functions which the operator will have to enter 10 timer values then store them in the non-volatile memory. These values would not be change often but will be once a while. I do not have the option of using the option slot because I placed an analog input module. According to the manual, I may use the EEPROM V-memory but I don't know how.

I suggested the manual appx F (see attached if needed)

From my customer.... I think the RAM V7400 is different from the ROM V7400 (page F-3). For this reason, the book suggests to use the MOV instruction in the ladder to move the data from the RAM V7400, for example, to the ROM V7400. I'm not sure I understand it correctly. But I don't know how to write to move to the ROM as the operator enter value on the C-more panel.

I am also at a loss... can anyone explain it better then the manual? is there a better place in the manual the has a program showing a MOV... or are we making this more then it should be?

Thank you

Mark

I think you are making it more difficult.
Store the numers (preset values) in the PLC, not the C-more (if i understand the question correctly). Data written to VMEM will be retained in the PLC upon power loss.

Oops,
Just read the attachment.

In DirectSoft software, you can set VMEM to be retentive.
Just add the locations that you are using in the timers to be retentive. Use consecutive addresses.
From the menu bar....PLC.......Setup.....Retentive ranges.
o_O

Keep in mind that changing the retentive ranges will force a run to program transition..... you will have to put the processor back into run mode after the changes.

"Data stored in EEPROM uses V7400-V7577 and V700-V777, V7600-V7777 and​
V36000-V37777 are non-volatile."

Use V7400-V7577, and you will be o.k.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
We have gone through the manual but its still not very clear

FROM MY Customer.... I use the C-more touch panel to control the DL05. I want to write a ladder program for a control. The program will include 10 timer functions which the operator will have to enter 10 timer values then store them in the non-volatile memory. These values would not be change often but will be once a while. I do not have the option of using the option slot because I placed an analog input module. According to the manual, I may use the EEPROM V-memory but I don't know how.
"Data stored in EEPROM uses V7400-V7577 and V700-V777, V7600-V7777 and​
V36000-V37777 are non-volatile."

Use V7400-V7577, and you will be o.k.

Hope this helps.

Works for me... thank you

Mark,

If your customer wants to power down the PLC for an extended time (longer than two weeks) then you will have to use the non volatile flash ram V7400- V7577. The only way this can be stored in flash is by the MOV command. The super Cap will hold values in the ranges that are retentive for up to three weeks.
NV.jpg

If you write directly from the Cmore to V7400. Then on a new power up it will contain zero (if it's never been MOV ed before).

The syntax for the MOV command is not intuitive. A value must be loaded into the accumulator for the number of addresses you want to load at one time. This is the (LD K1) in my example. Then the Hex starting address of where the values are is needed next (LDA 500)in my example (this is V500). Then the MOV command to where you want the values stored in flash.

If you wanted to move 10 values at once then substitute (LD K10) for (LD K1).

The flash ram has a limited amount of times it can be written to (100,000 times)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Brian123

Very nice explanation milldrone thank you!

These both help....

Vaughn, thanks for your knowledgeable answer.

Could you write an example for me to study:

The operator punches timer values one at a time from the C-more panel. For instant, he inputs 2.3 seconds in V7401. He pushes a button to MOV to the EEPROM. And he repeats to another entry, and so on. He runs the program (machine). Maybe 10 days later, he wants to change timer 5 value. So he punches the value from the C-more and MOV to V7405 of the EEPROM. Then he continue runs the program (machine).

Here is the 'store' code. As mentioned, change the number is the first LD to the number of locations you want to store. The number must be in hexadecimal. (e.g. 20 = 14 hex)

Let the operator change as many values as they wish then press the 'store' button on the HMI (tied to C0). This will save all the values in the range you select.

DL05 EEPROM Save.jpg

ultimatees,

Did Bernie's post give you enough information? If not please help us help you, by answering a few questions first.

1. What CPU are you using?

2. Is this an existing application with a PLC and a Cmore?

3. Which Cmore are you using?

4. Did you understand the operational details about the difference between retentive memory and non-volatile memory?

5. When I re-read your post I'm left with a feeling that you want something different than what you wrote. The big reason for using non-volatile memory is because the PLC might be powered down for more than two weeks. If this is not the reason please state why you want to use non-volatile memory.

He does mention the DL05 which doesn't ahve a battery in its base setup. I don't know how long the supercap would hold. It's so dependent on storage temperature.

I was referring to the original by geniusintraining. A possibility is that 'ultimatees' IS geniusintraining's customer. Or I've just gotten very confused. (Actually the latter is the more likely.)

I was referring to the original by geniusintraining. A possibility is that 'ultimatees' IS geniusintraining's customer. Or I've just gotten very confused. (Actually the latter is the more likely.)

I have never seen you wrong yet :)

Yes ultimatees is my customer (Gordon), the first post was his and my email's (edited) back and forth... he was having some issues getting the V memory (me too) so not wanting to tell him the wrong thing and I wanted to learn it also... I asked you guys :geek:

I think this should help him as it did help me, you can get lost in the manuals and its nice to have friends here to help when you do :)

Thanks again
Mark