Communications with different IP addresses

Segen

We have a SLC 505 that has an IP address 192.168.175.6 that communicates with an Infastructure computer with an IP address of 206.208.156.179. How is this possible?

The IP address 192.168.175.6 is connected to the infrastructure through a Super Stack II 10 hub router. We also have an old router that has nothing from the field connected to it but whenever we unplug it we are losing some points that are going through the infrastructure to the control room. We are now thinking if we change the IP address of 192.168.175.6 to be compatable directly to the infrastructure we can unplug the old router and not lose our points. Will this work?
To be more clear, the old router is in the loop with the super stack router.

Last edited:
You can't say without knowing how your network equipment is wired and if there are other routers in between. The easiest "quick test" would be to connect a laptop that has an address in the new range and see if it can communicate (ping destination address).

If this doesn't work, configure it with an IP address in the same range as the SLC, with the same subnet mask and default gateway, then in a command prompt run "tracert IP_YOU'RE_LOOKING_FOR". You'll get a list of router hops.

We are now thinking if we change the IP address of 192.168.175.6 to be compatable directly to the infrastructure we can unplug the old router and not lose our points. Will this work?

As Nathan mentions, use the tracert option in Windows to trace the route (and router hops). Ideally do that from the computer at 206.208.156.179 or as he says, from a computer in that same range. Don't use a computer in the same range as the SLC though as you won't see any hops.

Look at the IP configuration of the SLC and verify what the "gateway" address has been configured as. That gateway (router) is where the SLC hops onto the network.

OG