Crimson3 Tag Handling

Thanks for the update (y) - I look forward to many of the new features! Now the learning curve begins...

I have 32 PID temperature controllers on a G315. They are all the same, so a perfect candidate for the new tag groups and your widgets. But I am having some issues...

1. How can I delete multiple tags? Did you drop the feature?
2. I miss the 'View tags Online'. That is a good feature for debugging. Is it still there?
3. On tag import, none of the devices get populated - all imported tags are internal. I started with an import of my Crimson2 file so all the devices exist and the tags. I want to move the tag structure over to groups by device (i.e. group folder name = device name). So I create one folder and populate, then export to work in Excel. But upon import, all the old tags are still there, and all I can do is delete them one at a time. All new tags are 'internal', but the CSV file has the [device.address] format.
4. Can I link the device name in a tag to the group or folder name? That would speed tag creation - just copy the folder over with all the tags and change the folder name. I can do 'Complex' for device selection and it shows (for example)

return [PID1.400001];

I would like to substitute the device name PID1 with the group name but as far as I can tell, the property bindings for group name substitution work for the widgets. I tried

return [^400001];

with no joy.

Regards,

Bob

Sorry for the delay on this. Travelling in the UK right now!

1. How can I delete multiple tags? Did you drop the feature?

For now. Since delete no longer asks for confirmation (as it is undoable) it's much quicker to delete multiple tags by doing them one at a time that it was in C2. It will be back as we implement more multi-tag operations. They just take a lot more work now they have to be made undoable -- it was much easier to add stuff in C2 without the undo function!

2. I miss the 'View tags Online'. That is a good feature for debugging. Is it still there?

It'll be there for Jan. It's being re-written to make it more powerful and to integrate it with a feature that will allow you to view the status of all the tags referenced on a particular page.

3. On tag import, none of the devices get populated

Send Dan your CSV file and we'll look at this.

4. Can I link the device name in a tag to the group or folder name? That would speed tag creation - just copy the folder over with all the tags and change the folder name.

You can't do it the way you're trying, and in fact you can do it with the Copy From or Paste Specials, are those treat the source address as a single unit. That said, this sounds like a good idea for a new feature, as I'm sure you won't be the only person trying to do this. I'll make sure it's high up the list, and it might (just!) make the Jan release.

Thank you for the update. I figured out the tag import issues - when I export, I create a CSV file. I then import into excel to work (e.g. copy tags, increment indexes, etc.) I then save as CSV from excel and I end up with extra commas around the headers that Crimson adds to the sections (e.g.
[Flag.5.2],,,,,,,,,,,,,
<data>,<data<, etc.)

So I went in and cleared out the commas then it worked. I only picked this up by exporting a second time and comparing the text files (NOT in excel) and looking for obvious differences. Is there an approach that Redlion expects users to use to export/import tags? Perhaps my method is different than most causing me issues. If you have any documentation on best practices along these lines, it would be much appreciated!

I'll have a look into that import thing. Sounds like we're being too picky as to what we expect. We'll also check what Excel does to the text file format and make sure we don't choke on anything...

I am using the 'Details' feature of Crimson3 to bring up a standard page for each of my 32 temperature controllers. I have my 32 sub pages now, all with the _Zoom name. But I just noticed I want to make a change to the Zoom pages - is there a way to make a global change, or do I have to start over by editing the sub page widget then bind all of them again?

At the moment, you have to recreate the pages, or unbind and then rebind the widget. Somewhere on "The List" there is a widget manager that will allow forced reloading of widgets etc. just as for images, fonts and so on.