Mitsubishi fx3u ASCII Mov Constant

johnfarrugi

What istruction is used to move a constant ASCII string into a set of registers?
I am trying to move 35 constant ASCII strings into some D registers. Is this possible to do and what instruction would I use?

Unfortunatley the only way to move constants is find the hex value of the first two chars then use the mov instruction, there is a block move but this only moves data from memory areas to memory areas so unless you have the ascii chars already in say Dwords then just move the hex equivelent to each word

with Q series you can use the $MOV instruction (string mov instruction). Pretty sure these are available on FX.Hope so because i will have to use them in the near future.
eg
[$MOV "Hello" D100]
the instruction will automatically assign the required number of word address starting at d100. each char takes 1 byte so be careful you don't overwrite a register area used for something else.

How manually? if you mean through GX developer then yes just use the Device test under "Online\debug" menus. If through a HMI then setup will depend on the type of HMI.

it doesn't allow you to add ASCII directly that way. I need to convert it to HEX or DEC before i can manually input it into the GX software. Is that the only way?

Can't check device test at the mo because i'm not online with any CPU's. Maybe the version of GX i have does allow this (Ver 8.8J), but not 100% sure. Probably easier to set up a temporary input field on a HMI if you have one connected, or if the information is comming through RS232 then possibly Hyperterminal

If you use the ASC function in the program you can populate the registers you want then remove the code once they are set, remember to read the device MAIN from the plc afterwards so you have a copy of the data on disk.