S7ONLINE over ethernet with VMWare?

freddofrog

Hi all just a quicky,

Has anyone been able to use S7 to communicate to a processor via ethernet adapter in VMWare? If so what network type are you using, Bridged/NAT/Host Mode? I cant get mine to work, and need to use fixed IP adresses.

Oh the host machine cant ping the PLC, im thinking i may need some Siemens protocols installed on the host as well, and will be the main reason i suspect.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hello freddofrog,

I use VMware bridged conection but tried only OPC S7connection so far.It works without problem in WinCCFlex RT and OPCScout. I did not try dirctly with PLC...

Regards

I use it on bridgeed mode.
If the host machine cannot ping the PLC - What are your IP addresses?

The host machine network Card IP is 192.168.1.199, the PLC is on 192.168.1.206, the Virtual machine which has S7 is on 192.168.1.200. So the S7 project is set to be networked to 192.168.1.200. Ive tried Bridged mode, and NAT but not sure how the IP adresses should be for all this. Does someone have an example?

But interesting also is i cant ping the PLC from the host. Wondering if the network adapter needs the Simatic Net Protocols attached to it that normaly get attached when you install S7. there is no S7 on the host.

Thanks Guys!🍺

So the S7 project is set to be networked to 192.168.1.200
Please elaborate.

But interesting also is i cant ping the PLC from the host
That probably points directly to the problem.

Wondering if the network adapter needs the Simatic Net Protocols attached to it that normaly get attached when you install S7.
No.

Hi,
Like Jesper said, if you can not ping the PLC from the host, the problem is not in the VM.

I connected to S7-PLC from VMWare using Bridge and NAT (host only is not a posibility).
Also with OPC servers from VMWare.

What I sometimes had problems, is to connect when I am using the wireless card. But I did had ping in any case!

connection between AS and WinCC with Virtual Operating

Dear JesperMP,
can you please tell me if i need to change CP1623 on the project to "IE General"
I virtulise my OS and the network between ES and OS are fine. i am eble to download to OS from ES. and i can ping PLC from OS.
But the OS cannot see the PLC.
i am sure i missed a configuration, but i do not know which config i have missed.
any manual or documentation which can help me!

Thanks
Ali

Which WinCC version ?
If your WinCC installation is part of a PC Station (i.e. uses Simatic Net) then investigate the Station Configurator. It must show no errors.
Yes, I would guess that you must use IE General, and link it to the virtual network card.