1784-PKTX @ 230k No-Go w/ Wonderware

Flopro

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've got a customer that wants to bump his DH+ network up to 230.4k but whenever we change the speed it fails. It's not hardware related it appears to be a known issue as the following was the reply to my customer from Wonderware Tech Support:

This is a response for the DASABDHPlus inquiry. Wonderware has confirmed that the baud rate 230.4 has been permanently disabled due to some bugs. There is no fix implemented. If you choose to run at this baud rate, you may work with the legacy IO Server.

Pretty cheesy of Invensys to just say essentially that "no, it doesn't work and no, we're not fixing it." Anyone here aware of this issue?

Does Wonderware support OPC ?
You could let RSLinx make the connection as an OPC server, and let WW connect as an OPC client. I am sure that RSLinx works with 230k.

More Details...

JesperMP, I should have given more detail: This is an existing installation at a Water Municipality and doing the obvious like using RSLinx or another OPC Server isn't an option. They want all this nice new Wonderware Terminal Server with Historian and Archestra and other Wonderware Suite goodies to remain as configured and intact. All the PLC-5 and ControlLogix hardware on site supports 230.4K so they would love to take advantage of that baud rate. In Archestra's MMC the hardware config form for the 1784-PKTX card HAS a radio button for 57.6K OR 230.4K. However, as Wonderware has stated; 230.4K doesn't work and ain't gonna work...

I would question why they want to change the comm rate. Unless they're a really high-speed operation (1000's of operations per minute), it won't matter. And their human response speed to anything changing on the computer screen won't be upgraded to match ;)

Unless there's a really good reason, I tend to leave the comms configured "out-of-the-box" -- it makes repairs a whole lot easier if someone doesn't have to try to remember to change jumpers or other configurations. I've seen this as the cause for problems more than once...

Lots of datatransfers, or many nodes, can bring DH+ to its knees.
Since it is water supply or treatment plant, I guess it is the latter that is the problem.
Maybe split into several DH+ networks, each with its own PKTX card in each PC ?
Or maybe use the CLX as a dataconcentrator (if that is possible with WW) ?

I hear You...

Point well taken OZEE, but these guys got a taste of Ethernet/IP connections to some new AB PLC's installed recently. The majority of the Plant has PLC-5's with lots of RIO and they don't like the latency experienced with tags from that neck of the woods in comparison to the new stuff...wish in one hand....

I just thought of something.
Since this is a PLC5 and DH+ plant, what are the plans for the long term future ?
Sure, both PLC5 and DH+ will be supported for many years more, but they are definitely retirement candidates. They should start to consider a permanent fix, rather than tweak old hardware to get a short term relief.
Start talking to them about exchanging the PLC5 and DH+ with CLX and ethernet.

Could you use a ControlLogix as a bridge (gateway) from ethernet to DH+?

We use the DASABCIP bridged through a gateway to DH+ and it works fine.