At last, a meaningful practical use for ferrules.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I finally found a worthwhile use for wire ferrules....

...good to know they are useful for something.

shoelace aglets.

aglets.jpg

Last edited:
I finally found a worthwhile use for wire ferrules....

...good to know they are useful for something.

shoelace aglets.

aglets.jpg

We always use insulated ferrules.
Previous company I worked at had one of those out of town jobs where PLC digital I/O cards were destroyed by a wiring mishap. Multipole relay, with AC and DC signals being switched. Sliver of copper branched from AC signal to DC signal on same relay. Relay engaged, 120 VAC and 24vdc now joined by sliver. All DC I/O leds lit up like a Christmas tree and the magic smoke was released.

Did not happen to me, but when the guy it happened to and myself formed our company 20 years ago, we made a point to use ferrules to prevent such another occurance.

I use this story to explain to people why we always use ferrules.

Those started out as insulated ferrules too, but the sleeve wouldn't go through the grommet. A razor knife solved that problem but created a new problem solved by a band-aid.

Ferrules are a royal pain in the arse, however I use them for just the reasons you enumerated. That doesn't mean I have to like them (except this time, when its practical) 🍺

Hahaha... Love your work.

Just heat-shrink some red and green over the ferrules for left and right =P

That is awesome. I have long skinny feet so the shoelaces in my wallyworld tennies are always about a foot too long. Now I don't have to go around all frayed after I cut them off.

Thanks, Alaric!

And you know what they say about guys with big feet

Uhhhh no Roy I am not sure what they say about guys with big feet.

Re labeling
1. I do not see any mention of labeling to identify which shoe goes on which foot. Would this not be a higher priority than labeling laces? You should put on foot and the correct one before tying laces
2. I am not sure about labeling the laces different colors. I do not see how red and green identifies the tree vs the rabbit.
3. Open to learning though - does it make a difference which lace goes first?

Dan Bentler

If you need to remove the plastic from a ferrule, just use a heat gun to soften it. The plastic will pull right off with a needle nose pliers. This technique also works great for spade and ring terminals.

-rpoet