232analyzer for USS protocol

peoplehouse

Hello group, is this possible...I want to try and capture the transmission from controller to VFD. The controller is propriety (locked out) but it transmits and recieves messages via USS protocol using the RS485 terminals on an outdated Siemans micromaster.
Can I use the free version of 232analyzer to read the TX and RX transmission?
The 485 is using two wires. Can I make a cable that would plug into my serial port on the PC and use pins 1 & 2 and connect them in parallel on the RS485 terminals on the drive?
If I do experiment with this, could any damage be done?
Just wondering and thank you for any help
Jeff

You need a 485 to 232 converter. If you are only using the two wire 485 connection to the drive, hook up the RX+ and RX- wires from your converter. Open up any ol' terminal program, and start snooping.

Of course, USS is well documented, so you can get a lot of information on the protocol before hand.

You can actually use any laptop with a serial port to monitor RS-485, I do it whenever I have a couple of new devices to get talking.
Simply connect the laptops RX Data to RS-485 TX- (note the minus terminal)and ground.
Use some free terminal application.
You can also communicate from the laptop to the 485 device by connecting pin 2 & 3 together. You see what you sent and the response.
"I know its not supposed to work but it does"

Regards
Roy

I was under the impression that I needed a converter to do this. I have a cable made up but never tried it out. . Hmmmm. I guess I will give it a try. I'll post the results!
Thank you Roy
Jeff