Communication between AB Panel View Plus 1500 and 1756 controllogix controller

wonderful_plc

Hi all,

I am very new to the PLC setting. May I know is anyone have the experience to establish the communication between the Panel View Plus 1500 and the 1756 controllogix controller?

I would like to read all the modbus address from PLC in HMI. Thank you.

No problem. Just follow the easy steps below:
1. Build a new project with the FactoryTalk View Studio ME or RSView Studio ME (I'm using the FactoryTalk View Studio ME).
2. Open the Communication Setup and goto the Runtime (Target) tab.
3. Right click on the Ethernet connection and choose Add Device and under the EthernetIP Devices folder choose the Ethernet module used with the ControlLogix.
4. Key in the IP address for the Ethernet module and the slot number it sit on the rack.
5. Right click on the virtual rack create under the Ethernet module and add the targeted ControlLogix.
6. Create a Device Short that point to the ControlLogix. Click OK to close the Communication Setup.
7. When you want to link to the tags inside the ControlLogix use this syntax: [Device Shortcut]Tag_Name_In_ControlLogix; i.e.: [PLC]Data01

One more tip, during development stage we usually connect the FactoryTalk View ME direct to the ControlLogix direct so we can do the changes on the fly. To do that repeat the above steps under the Design (Local) tab.

51262-01.gif 51262-02.gif 51262-03.gif 51262-04.gif 51262-05.gif

Last edited:
similar problem

Hi, I came across this post while looking for some information for my situation. I had the same issue being not familiar with these Allen Bradley products. I set everything up as mentioned above, all the devices are showing in RSLinx Enterprise. However, my objects on my HMI screen are sensing no value even when I toggle the addresses in RSLogix 5000 while it's running. Do you have any suggestions of what I should take a look at?

Thanks,

Cindy

No, it seems like it is not recognizing the addresses from the Controllogix. It's the application is downloaded on the PanelView and is running, but all the objects that are assigned tags have "no value".

There is a couple of things that could be going wrong. It's either the syntax of your tags, or your communications setup.

Here is what I would do. Setup communications on your local tab first. Make sure that when you are pointing to the controller, you have your shortcut name selected. Apply it and close it. Open up one of your screens and run the test on it. It looks like a little play button right under the Animation drop down. Of course, you will have on the network so that your computer can see the PLC. If you can get that working, you can go back into communications setup and use the "copy design to runtime" button to set your runtime communications path the same.

The other thing that could be an issue is your the syntax for your tags. The sure fire way to enter them is to go to the connection tab in a property of a button and use the (...) under tag to browse the controller for the appropriate tag. That way the format of the tag path is guaranteed correct.

Thanks for the help! I setup the communications on the local tab and made sure it was pointing at the controller. I was trying to look at one particular tab for now, and when i tested it I got the message in Factory Talk ME "Item "name of tag" does not exist in the processor on route ControlLogix in slot 0 of chassis at 192.168.1.11".

That is the I.P. address for the controller and the slot where it is in. The tag is def. a normal on/off bit in the program that is downloaded into the controller right now and it is in run mode.
How should I address that message?

So open up the properties of you button and go to the "Connections" tab. Under the "tag" column, you will see 3 dots (...). Click it and it will open up the tag browser. You should see your controller name there. Right click on it and select refresh all folders.

Now under you should see your shortcut name appear as a folder. Under it, you should see "Online". Under "Online" will be all of your PLC tags (read directly from the processor). Select the tag that you want to control the button you are editing. This will properly format the tag FT.

One catch that you may find is that you cannot see the Online folder until you copy your local path to the target (at least that is what I found just now).

You don't really have to do this for each tag. I would recommend doing it for one, then just copying the format for all of your other tags.