Struggling with CIP?

Aviator|Chris

Hi there,

I am struggling with the CIP path for a particular project.

Setup is an 1769-L35E CompactLogix processor connected to Ethernet (192.168.1.160).

Also connected to the Ethernet is a ControlLogix 4-Slot Rack (192.168.1.170), in Slot 0 is a 1756-ENBT card, and in Slot 1 a DHRIO card.

The DHRIO card (Node 70) talks to the existing DH+ Network and can see all nodes when looking in Linx. Ethernet functionality is fine.

What would the CIP path be on the L35E to read data from a ControlLogix PLC located on the DH+ network at Node 61.

Cheers. :confused:

Last edited:
Hello,

From a help file:

Path
This is the path to the endpoint (controller). A "-1" value in the path is ignored. The most common path will be 1 - 0. That is from the Ethernet/IP card to the CPU (slot 0). If the CPU was in slot 1 the path would be 1 - 1. All the non used path fields must be -1. If the path is to a CPU in another rack the path would be longer. Please refer to AB documentation for proper path settings.
Example
Rack 1
Slot 0 ControlNet card
Slot 1 CPU
Slot 2 Ethernet/IP card
Rack 2
Slot 0 ControlNet card
Slot 1 CPU
To access the CPU in rack 2 the path would be: 1 - 0 - 2 - 9 - 1 - 1
1 = Ethernet/IP
0 = ControlNet card in Rack 1 slot 0
2 = Channel 1 of ControlNet card
9 = Rack 2
1 = ControlNet card in Rack 2 slot 0
1 = CPU Rack 2 Slot 1

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/

CIP Paths consist of pairs of numbers designating a Port and an Address. The most common Ports are 1=backplane, 2=network. Addresses can be Slots, ControlNet nodes, or IP addresses.

When you're using a 1756-DHRIO, usually the CIP path takes you only as far as the DHRIO module itself, where the DH+ message is executed by the designated DH+ channel and the reply is carried back over CIP. If the DH+ target is not a PLC/SLC device, you may also need to get DH+ Links involved.

For your application, the path should be

1, 1, 2, 192.168.1.170, 1, 1

(1,1) From the CompactLogix virtual backplane port to virtual slot 1 (the Ethernet daughtercard)
(2, 192.168.1.170) From the Ethernet port to the 1756-ENBT at 192.168.1.170
(1,1) From the backplane port of the -ENBT to the 1756-DHRIO at Slot 1

This is where the DHRIO takes over; you designate the message as a DH+ Local message from the connected DHRIO channel to the device at DH+ Node 61.

If the 1756-DHRIO at DH+ Node 61 has the ControlLogix in Slot 0 and that DHRIO module has the default destination slot as Slot 0, you're done. If the ControlLogix is in a different slot or the module doesn't have that slot configured as the default, you're going to have to get into DH+ Links and the DHRIO routing table, which is a more complex topic.

Technote on ab knowledge base might help you out. (tech note #42098 - ControlLogix Simple Messages )

Technote quote below:

ControlLogix to ControlLogix message over DHRIO DH+
CIP data table read or write
Review Chapter 7 of 1756-UM514B-EN-P (the path statement is missing the 8#)​

A) Don't forget that the 1756-DHRIO module has hardware settings which allow the module to be set-up for any DH+/RIO combination. The rotary switches for Channels A & B are set for either RIO or DH+ at the approriate baud rates of 57.6, 115.2 and 230.4 KB, and if DH+ is used, rotary switches for the DH+ node address. (The node number is set in Octal, therefore when adding to the path must have a 8# in front of the node number or the value must be converted to Deciaml value.)(Channel A is 2 and Channel B is 3)​

That should help you in your path definition.

Thank you all for your help!

I will give it a wirl tomorrow and see how I get on!

Technote on ab knowledge base might help you out. (tech note #42098 - ControlLogix Simple Messages )

Technote quote below:

ControlLogix to ControlLogix message over DHRIO DH+
CIP data table read or write
Review Chapter 7 of 1756-UM514B-EN-P (the path statement is missing the 8#)​

A) Don't forget that the 1756-DHRIO module has hardware settings which allow the module to be set-up for any DH+/RIO combination. The rotary switches for Channels A & B are set for either RIO or DH+ at the approriate baud rates of 57.6, 115.2 and 230.4 KB, and if DH+ is used, rotary switches for the DH+ node address. (The node number is set in Octal, therefore when adding to the path must have a 8# in front of the node number or the value must be converted to Deciaml value.)(Channel A is 2 and Channel B is 3)​

That should help you in your path definition.

Yes I got this far - the card display is reading correctly and I can browse over the customer's existing DH+ network from the Ethernet side across the backplane in Linx.

Due to this method, does this mean that I can't read DINT registers from the ControlLogix @ Node 61?

Registers have to be assigned a file number in the SLC Mapping feature? I have done this before between Compact & MicroLogix but only direct over Ethernet..

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to retract a little bit; I was thinking of Logix to PLC/SLC, as described in Chapter 6 of the 1756-DHRIO User Manual.

The User Manual is the authority. You can COPy your DINT data types into multiple INTs in order to make them transferable.

Hi Ken,

Cheers! So the Comms Path will remain the same, just need them available as Integers with SLC file numbers in the ControlLogix? Then assign the relative word/element references in the Message Configuration?

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I'm having troubling understanding how to set up the CIP path for a CIP Write over Ethernet.

My source is a ControlLogix 1756-L63 in Slot 0, with a 1756 - ENET/B in Slot 1 (named ENET)

My Destination is at 10.8.181.51, to a ControlLogix 1756-L63 in Slot 0, with a 1756-ENBT/A in Slot 1

When I look at what is programmed for the CIP Write, the path looks like this:

ENET, 2, 10.8.181.51, 1, 0

So:

Ethernet module on local chassis
to
2 ???
to
Destination IP
to
Ethernet Port on Destination
to
CPU in slot 0 of Destination

I'm trying to figure out there the ENET, 2 comes from. What is 2? Why not use 1, as I've seen for other Ethernet messaging?

Thanks

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but I'm having troubling understanding how to set up the CIP path for a CIP Write over Ethernet.

My source is a ControlLogix 1756-L63 in Slot 0, with a 1756 - ENET/B in Slot 1 (named ENET)

My Destination is at 10.8.181.51, to a ControlLogix 1756-L63 in Slot 0, with a 1756-ENBT/A in Slot 1

When I look at what is programmed for the CIP Write, the path looks like this:

ENET, 2, 10.8.181.51, 1, 0

So:

Ethernet module on local chassis
to
2 ???
to
Destination IP
to
Ethernet Port on Destination
to
CPU in slot 0 of Destination

I'm trying to figure out there the ENET, 2 comes from. What is 2? Why not use 1, as I've seen for other Ethernet messaging?

Thanks

Have a look at Chapter 4 - starting at Page 170 of the Instruction Reference Manual. It gives a fairly good explanation of the different routing numbers.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Stu......

Thanks Stu. I took a look at a few different manuals but somehow missed this one.

Attempting to revive a VERY old thread I know. That's because I have one archaic system that was running a PV1000 DH+ on an old SLC 5/04. PV died. I have an old spare model 2711-T10G20 w/Ethernet comms. I popped in a new SLC 5/05 w/ethernet and rev'd the PB32 program from DH+ to Ethernet and setup the comms. Loaded the .PVA file and set the IP address in the panelview to fixed.

Issue is I'm getting the 634 error. The manual states read/write failures as 'Panelview is communicating with the controller. The data table address does not exist'. I can assure you that the data table does, in fact, exist. I know in the manual this says it is a Controlnet error but I've read people get it with Enet too. Basically, I'm getting read/write failures to an integer and bit files. I wiresharked it and see plenty of CIP PCCC comms that seem to be successful. I see that PCCC is just DF1 messages adapted to Eth/IP specs. I can't, however, seem to narrow down the read/write failure issue.

In the PV comms setup I put 1 (space) 0 in the 'Path' field. You'd think the manual would mention something about setting this up but, alas, it's Rockwell so no. You have to search a forum to see what it's all about. Since my CPU is in slot 0 and the SLC doesn't really have a backplane so to speak, I put in the 1 0. Seems to be working but the error persists.

I thought this would be an 'easy' quick fix but then again it's Rockwell so 'easy' doesn't apply in most cases. Before I quit on this thing and order a surplus DH+ PV from a third party and throw the 5/04 back in does anyone (Ken?) have any ideas? Thanks in advance!! -Chip

In the PV comms setup I put 1 (space) 0 in the 'Path' field. You'd think the manual would mention something about setting this up but, alas, it's Rockwell so no. You have to search a forum to see what it's all about. Since my CPU is in slot 0 and the SLC doesn't really have a backplane so to speak, I put in the 1 0. Seems to be working but the error persists.

It's been a few years since I had any non-Plus connected via Ethernet, but I dug out an archived program to see how the comms were configured. It was connected to a 5/05 with the SLC's IP address under 'Node Address' and 'Path' left blank.

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to confirm. I have the IP address in the Node Address box but I had looked at another program with a compact logix that had the path set as 1 0, which after some digging here made sense. I'll remove the path settings and see what if the read/write failures go away.