OT Climate Change. Furnace Experience.

John Gaunt

Having experience using PLC's DCS and other computer based systems to control furnaces I am concerned at the lack of thought being given to global shading (global cooling) as it applies to climate change.

I only ask that we give thought to all aspects climate change.

Attached is a Word document with some thoughts and a couple of ways that global warming could be reduced.

It was suggested to put contents of .doc here.

Cooling Is The Key To Reversing Climate Change

John Gaunt, Longford, Tasmania, Australia. (03) 63911815 10th November 2009

Whilst without doubt Carbon Dioxide emissions are a cause of global warming, there seems to be a total disregard of other factors that are effecting climate change. Some of these other factors can possibly be adjusted far more readily than CO2 emissions. Climate Change is the end result of a number of factors some of which cause an increase in global temperature and a few that cause a decrease. Politicians and scientists alike are generally ignoring global Cooling.

Even worse, several well meant measures to reduce emissions are increasing Global Warming because they carry side effects that reduce Global Cooling. For the past 40 years or so in North America, Europe and other developed parts of the world there have been Environmental Protection Authorities reducing visible emissions. These visible emissions whilst appearing to be nasty were in fact beneficial (in the Global Warming context), causing shading of significant areas of the planet. This shading was an important Global Cooling factor and very much part of the Heating / Cooling balance that has been upset in recent times. Some proposed developments such as clean coal technology might also be expected to significantly reduce Global Cooling.

Working with very large gas firing systems in Australia and overseas, I have carried out experiments and proven that an enormous amount of fuel can be saved, with a reduction in total pollution, by lowering the air to fuel ratio. Unfortunately, then the visible stack emissions are considered to be unacceptably opaque (smoky). Now this really needs rethinking, we are increasing Global Warming for the aesthetic value being placed on visually clean smoke stacks. Perhaps taller but smokier stacks would be a sensible compromise. Whilst I would not advocate increased smoke, for instance, in the climatically sensitive region west of Sydney, it could be feasible in many other locations where adverse effects would be negligible with increased rainfall a possible beneficial side effect. Equating Carbon emissions with CO2 emissions is far from helpful as their effect on Climate Change are quite different.

Having worked in Asian countries for the past 10 years I have noticed that it is often not as hot as one might expect. The sky is generally overcast and visual air pollution acts to shade the earth. Whilst some of the emissions are undesirable (SO2, NOX), that isn’t the case for all emissions. Certainly shading is significant for Global Cooling. If we continue to reduce visual stack emissions in Asia as we have done in Europe and North America then Global Warming will increase substantially regardless of any attempts to control it by reducing CO2 emissions. A lot more thought, considering the bigger picture is needed but perhaps reducing CO2 emissions and increasing Carbon (smoke) emissions would be beneficial.

A pointer to another strategy to reduce Global Warming became evident when all the planes were grounded in U.S.A. following the 9–11 attacks on New York and Washington. A significant rise in temperature was noticed that was reversed as soon as flights were resumed. The temperature rise was attributed to the absence of the condensate trails left by the thousands of jet aircraft that normally cross the sky every day. It is certainly not beyond the “wit of man” to develop a mechanism to deliver a metered dose of catalyst into the jet fuel or exhaust to produce more pronounced and persistent condensate trails at high altitude utilising existing world air traffic.

It is important that Climate Change be fully understood. At present we have gone off half-****ed and the efforts of the last 10 years have largely been wasted. I fear that this might continue.

if there is a global warming how come the 2 last years have been cooler then predicted?

when you have a statistical noise sitting on top of an average, of cause you will get variations. The important factor is the trend.

I remember reading that, at least here in Australia, something like 6 out of the top ten hottest years on record have been in the last decade. That has to tell you something.

As far as whether your part of the world was cooler than predicted, its different in other places.

when you have a statistical noise sitting on top of an average, of cause you will get variations. The important factor is the trend.

I remember reading that, at least here in Australia, something like 6 out of the top ten hottest years on record have been in the last decade. That has to tell you something.

As far as whether your part of the world was cooler than predicted, its different in other places.

Decade? Statistical noise?
The earth is aprox 4,54 billion years old if anything a decade is statistical noise.

Having experience using PLC's DCS and other computer based systems to control furnaces I am concerned at the lack of thought being given to global shading (global cooling) as it applies to climate change.

I only ask that we give thought to all aspects climate change.

Attached is a Word document with some thoughts and a couple of ways that global warming could be reduced.

I don't give a damn about "Global Warming", "Extinction of Species", or any other Media Hype designed to take more money out of my pocket and put in some government wonk's pocket.

Decade? Statistical noise?
The earth is aprox 4,54 billion years old if anything a decade is statistical noise.

I think you misunderstood me. I said that of all the years that records have been kept, and research has been done on average temperatures, 6 of the top 10 hottest years have been in the last decade.

This suggests that it is extremely likely that the average temperature is rising very quickly, certainly quicker than natural cycles.

I live in the tropic and the last two years had been hotter than ever up to 42 degrees celsius.
Right now we are suffering from "El Niño", that means almost never rains.

I like the El Nino. It rips the tropical waves apart, that come off of Africa, before they become hurricanes.

I think you misunderstood me. I said that of all the years that records have been kept, and research has been done on average temperatures, 6 of the top 10 hottest years have been in the last decade.

This suggests that it is extremely likely that the average temperature is rising very quickly, certainly quicker than natural cycles.

How can you know that if there's only been detailed records for about 200 years back?

Re "only been detailed records for about 200 years back" this is totally not the case, as there as detailed 'records' contained fossiles, in the ice in glaciers, the arctic and many more of earths resources.
Unless you think the earth was created 4000 year ago of course.

Although final figures will not be known until January, 2009 is likely to be the fifth hottest year on record, reversing a brief three-year “cold snap” ...
2009 'on course to be the fifth hottest since records began'
Claim and counterclaim
Gore compares global warming skeptics to moon landing deniers

Re "only been detailed records for about 200 years back" this is totally not the case, as there as detailed 'records' contained fossiles, in the ice in glaciers, the arctic and many more of earths resources.
Unless you think the earth was created 4000 year ago of course.

Although final figures will not be known until January, 2009 is likely to be the fifth hottest year on record, reversing a brief three-year “cold snap” ...
2009 'on course to be the fifth hottest since records began'
Claim and counterclaim
Gore compares global warming skeptics to moon landing deniers

The fact that you even attach a link to something involving Gore shows your lack of realism.

I think the vast majority of people have already made up their minds on the subject of climate change and it is extremely unlikely that they will change their position. That applies to those who believe that human activity is altering the climate as well as the skeptics.

As evidence to buttress that position, I cite the previous post's disparaging reference to Al Gore and the statement quoted below from the "Claim and counterclaim" link in FrancisL's post.
Claim 2: all the changes that we have seen in climate can be explained by natural variation. Response: the underlying warming trend over the past few decades can only be explained by man-made emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. No natural factors could have had the same effect.
The first is a somewhat Pavlovian response to the mere mention of a name. "If Al Gore is for it then I must be against it."
The second is an arrogant assumption that the consensus explanation of the cause of observed phenomena must the one true explanation. No competeing theories need apply.