SLC5/03 PV 550 communication error

bbear

This network takes 4 bits from the PV Screen: run, jog, thread, stop and 2 analog signals: run reference & run speed. Also a Device Net Card is connected to a DC Drive.
PanelView 550 Cat. 2711-K5A2 Rev. A Frn 2.01
Connected to SLC 500 DH 485 Link Coupler
Connected to 1761-NET-AIC
Connected to SLC5/03 1747-Ls32 Ser. D Rev 4

The PLC on this small network had been powered down and the PLC lost it’s memory. Loaded the PLC memory and the equipment run about 15 minutes without problems then the PV & PLC stop communicating. However the PLC is running without errors and the I/O hardwired devices work. The PV reads “no active nodes found on Network”. Checked cables, connectors & AIC also voltages OK, checked by replacing then putting the original back. Downloaded earlier save copy of the program & have same problem.
The PV Set Up Screen: baud rate is 19200, node 2 also it shows a Flashing Comm LED and the Fault LED is out. So I believe it and the hardware is healthy. When memory was lost from power down downloaded PLC program by unplugging the PV cable from the processor. Now cannot connect serial have to connect into the 485 connector. Believe something is causing this PLC Channel to be confused. I am working for a Company that has AB, I formerly worked for a Company that had GE & Westinghouse electronics so I continue to learn about AB as I go and from this site. I always try to exhaust my own resources before asking for assistance on this site. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This application looks conventional in that the PanelView is DH485 Node 2, configured to communicate with an SLC-5/03 at DH485 Node 1. Totally normal, default settings.

What's unconventional is that the SLC-5/05 has both Channel 0 (RS232 DB9 connector) and Channel 1 (DH485 RJ45 connector) configured for DH485 protocol.

Both ports are configured to be Node 1, so they have to be on different physical DH485 networks or they will conflict.

According to your description, the PanelView is communicating to the SLC via the 1761-NET-AIC connected to Channel 0.

By default (like out of the box or long powerdown without a battery), Channel 0 is set for DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

What mystifies me is your statement that the controller and the PanelView communicated properly for 15 minutes. If the port is misconfigured, they would not communicate at all.

Go back online with the controller (since you say you can do so via Channel 1) and verify that Channel 0 is configured for DH485 protocol and set to be Node 1.

OK I will go back online and check.

This is confusing me also about it working for about 15 minutes.

Well, then, it ought to work.

The PanelView "No active nodes found on network" message is shown if the DH485 port is unplugged, or if there are literally no other active nodes on the network.

Since you're able to go online with the SLC-5/05, you must have a working 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver on your computer, either running through a serial cable or a 1747-UIC USB/DH485 converter. So when you plug in to the AIC+ down by the SLC controller, your computer should constitute another DH485 node (probably Node 3 or Node 31). If the PanelView can electrically communicate through its own cabling and isolators, then putting the computer on the network should change the error message from "No Active Nodes" to "Required Nodes Not Found".

Which nodes can you see in the RSWho browse when you connect your computer to the network ?

Describe exactly the cables from the PV550 to the 1747-AIC, and from the 1747-AIC to the 1761-NET-AIC. How long is the trunk cable ? Are the termination jumpers in place ? Which port on the PanelView is connected through what type of cable to which port on the 1747-AIC ?

The only nodes are the SLC and the PC no PV
From the DH 485 Link Coupler to the PV is cable 1747 C20 about 6' long
From the 1747-AIC to the PLC is cable 1761-CBLPM02, if it is no that cable it looks exactly like it, about 3' long
The cable connecting the two, truck cable is about 20-30'. Been in conduit for 10 years. Checked the connections and all looked good. both have close to 24vdc to them; the DH 485 Link Coupler has 23vdc the
1747-AIC has 22.4vdc and is set to Auto, external.

Since you're connecting to Channel 1 of the SLC-5/03, you must have either a 1747-PIC modules (old, bulky RS232/DB25 on a ribbon cable) or a 1747-UIC module (modern, small, USB connector).

That's good. It means your PC has a working DH485 connection.

Your network is very similar to the one described on Page 23 of the 1761-NET-AIC User Manual. Check out the diagram of the termination jumpers and shield ground jumper on Page 15 as well.

The 1747-C20 cable from the PanelView to the 1747-AIC should go from the wider "AMP Connector" on the PV terminal to the RJ45 style "Peripheral" port.

Test 1: Unplug the PanelView from that port and plug in your 1747-PIC or -UIC and computer. You should be able to see the SLC-5/03 in your network browse. If you cannot, there is something wrong with the trunk cable or the 1747-AIC isolator.

Test 2: If Test #1 succeeded and you can see the SLC from the perspective of the PanelView, put the PanelView back and plug the 1761-CBL-PM02 from the SLC-5/03 Channel 0 into your PC's serial port with the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver running in RSLinx. You should be able to see the PanelView terminal. If you cannot, there is something wrong with the 1747-C20 cable or the PanelView.

Test 3: With everything else connected, connect the 1747-PIC into the RJ45 style connector on the PanelView terminal itself. If you can browse with RSLinx and see the PanelView, then the PanelView is OK. This also presumed that the 1747-C20 cable is OK.