Service Pack 3 Issues

Short Fuse

Hello Everybody!! I am new here to this forum so go easy on me!! I recently bought 3 new PC's with SP3 loaded on XP Pro.I loaded RS VEIW 32 and RS LINK. Eveything went well until I tried communicating on the network. Found out that Rockwell does not support SP3.Is this true and if it is what is the issue why it will not work? Thanks

SP3 RsView 32 (nope)

Hello Everybody!! I am new here to this forum so go easy on me!! I recently bought 3 new PC's with SP3 loaded on XP Pro.I loaded RS VEIW 32 and RS LINK. Eveything went well until I tried communicating on the network. Found out that Rockwell does not support SP3.Is this true and if it is what is the issue why it will not work? Thanks

We just recently went through this same issue. We had a project working with older RSView32, I could NOT use my laptop with SP3. I had to borrow a co-workers older laptop (SP2 only) to open, and modify RSView 32 applications.

Service Pack 3 is supported by some software. But if you are using older versions of those software packages, then you will run into issues.

RSLinx needs to be v2.55.
RSView32 needs to be v7.50

OG

Thanks for coming back. The ones I loaded originally was CPR 7. The versions you listed will work with SP3? I just purchased a copy of XP SP2 Pro. Will CPR be the correct one for SP2?

Am I reading you correctly. CPR 9 will work with SP3? Does Rockwell support this? I have versions of CPR 7 home for the weekend that I can load with SP2,and I thought they supported these. Thanks

I didn't say all CPR9 software. Technically there has been a CPR9, CPR9 SR1, and CPR9 SR2.

RSView32 v7.50 (CPR9 SR1)
RSLinx v2.55 (CPR9 SR2)

both are supported in XP SP3.

OG

Short Fuse, have you tried running with compatibility mode? I have had success with some programs using the compatibility mode setting. (Finding the executable to set the properties might be an issue.)

I think that finding the appropriate versions of the RSLinx and RSView is the better solution. But if you don't have access to the latest version, setting the windows compatibility mode might help.

Sucess!! I had to disable the sata drive an use the ATA drive. Now I can load the software
Can I download factory talk from Rockwells site and get it going this weekend.I want to do everything correct. Any suggestions? Thanks

I had the same issue with one of my systems. After much research I found another way sround the SP3 issue. I copied the sernum.sys file from a SP2 machine and replaced the SP3 file of the same name with it. It may not be reommended, but it worked for me. I use the laptop every day and for other applications also with no adverse effects.

I had the same issue with one of my systems. After much research I found another way sround the SP3 issue. I copied the sernum.sys file from a SP2 machine and replaced the SP3 file of the same name with it. It may not be reommended, but it worked for me. I use the laptop every day and for other applications also with no adverse effects.

^^ What location is this "sernum.sys" file in?

Typo in the filename, I apologize for that.The filename is serenum.sys and is located in several places in my machine.
The first place I found it was in the C:\WIndows\system32\drivers\ folder. To find it I did a search using search companion and enabled the option to look in hidden and system folders. Make sure you save your original serenum.sys file under a new filename. I also put the file in the c:\Windows\system32\dllcache folder.

serenum.sys is the serial port enumerator, part of the system for communicating over serial ports.

I'd have to windiff it, and learn a bit about the file format to let you know what the differences are, but I bet there are some minor differences in there preventing the old code from working (probably either security enhancements, bug fixes, or changes in how things work to prevent some sort of memory issue or buffer issue). I bet the reason the new version isnt supported is that whoever is responsible for dealing with the code for that isn't trying to keep up.

I would also say that unless your using serial communications in other programs, that it would probably be safe to replace the file. However, I wouldn't suggest you do that unless the computer is expendable, or at the very least you can reformat and reinstall windows on it without a problem. If if the system is strictly for programming PLCs and such, and you've got all the licensing backed up and al the rest of that stuff, it should be fine.