Suggestion - Student section?

timbo_uk

I dont know how this will be received etc....

Why dont we replace the "Test" forum with a student help area?
Initial joining will allow read only access to the "Live PLC questions and answers" and full access to the student section.

After a "nube" has proven that they can ask a question properly and are not spamming etc, then have a mod upgrade them to "intelligent enough to post in full forum" level?

I appreciate that this will take a little admin, but for clarity on the forums it may help?

Timbo

As a student I posted here and got a lot of help. I think this is a very good thing and should continue.

This proposal includes a qualification stage
- who is going to decide if a student is qualified?
- What are the criteria to get qualified?

Just because of the admin difficulties I do not favor this approach. I think we should stay with come one come all. After all in our learning stages we asked some pretty dumb questions also.

I do favor some kind of standing page (sticky ??) where students can go for advice on how to post questions. This would also benefit some who are not students also.

Dan Bentler

If a new section is created for students, I don't see the need to have the limits placed on their accounts to limit them to that area. There are some 'off topic' discussions that take place occasionally--why not let them chime in with their opinion?

I'd like to think that they would be respectful enough to not spam up the non-student section with school related questions...

All valid comments here, I did think a bit about posting rights. I guess you are right about allowing free posting.

We are all deffinately still learning, and I will say I have learned a hell of a lot in here from you all. So maybe I was a bit harsh in the original suggestion; but you all seem to see what I was getting at :)

<EDIT> To quote leitmotif "we all asked some pretty dumb questions"; I have just looked back at some of my early posts....ooops!!!

Last edited:
I think a sticky with links to all the ONC/HNC Questions/Answers might work, although i'm sure it would missed by most in need and a new thread started anyway :)

I do favor some kind of standing page (sticky ??) where students can go for advice on how to post questions. This would also benefit some who are not students also.

But nobody ever bothers to either (1) read the stickies or (2) search, so it wouldn't help...

All valid comments here, I did think a bit about posting rights. I guess you are right about allowing free posting.

We are all deffinately still learning, and I will say I have learned a hell of a lot in here from you all. So maybe I was a bit harsh in the original suggestion; but you all seem to see what I was getting at :)

<EDIT> To quote leitmotif "we all asked some pretty dumb questions"; I have just looked back at some of my early posts....ooops!!!

Automation is a big bag of different methods, communications and ways of working. 60% of the time, the search will reveal the answer. Sometimes questions are just so specific that you need to ask a question anyway.

I certainly feel that by not dividing students from operational engineers, it feels better to be discussing queries and problems amongst your peers.

This means that we can spot questions and respond to them quicker. I was a beginner once and I know how much I was helped to this level. I would never deny anybody a helping hand, even if the question seems basic to me.
🍻