Data collection from MicroLogix

Michal_dk

Hi Guys!

I've been asked if it was possible to build a control for a machine (I'm not sure about the english word, but stretch test is the closest that comes to mind). The system is standing outside all year and therefore I want to have the user interface in a PC, but wanted to have the PLC placed inside the machine.

My first concern was how to collect the data from the stretching process? In larger systems, where I use CompactLogix and ControlLogix, I use RSView SE - Arrg I need to learn to say FactoryTalk. And I was thinking FT View Station 25 Display, for this system.
My thougth is to use the FTView to do a datacollection and store the data in an Access database or perhaps the MSSQL Express database.
But is there a better or perhaps even cheaper solution for this?

Next how well will the ML take to be installed in a system that is outside all year?
As I have understood the machine, it will be unplugged when not in use and then plugged in when needed. But even though the temperature in denmark does not get below 20 degrees celsius (well allmost never), it will still be cold and perhaps even moist.

The alternative would be to use a softPLC, but I'm not familiar with them AND they tend to be expensive, compared to the ML1100 or ML1400.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Michal

Michal,

The best trending/HMI software that I've seen is a program called VTS by Trihedral. The program talks to just about any PLC (including MicroLogix). The trending is in realtime and it can do ODBC or OPC functions. Unlike other programs, the trending is set up automatically. You can also set up a master/slave logger so you can have one machine running inside as a backup, outside of the cold, and second outside. The software is reasonably priced around how many tags you want need.

They're based out of Canada but I believe there is an office in Scotland as well. Check them out by googling "Trihedral VTS"

Another software I had a good luck with is Canary Lab. Very simple and powerful. Has its own historian and works with any data source, including RSLinx.