help !!!! can not install rslogix 500

irondesk40

had a problem where it appeared that my for some reason my rslogix 500 software that i use was corrupted. Called ab tech support, spoke with ab engineer and he told me that i needed to uninstall and reinstall software.
he had me download a file windows install cleanup and run it and select the rslogix 500 and it would uninstall it.
did that, using my tech connect license he talked me through downloading the software, there is a core.exe file.
unzipped it, he told me to run it, it starts to install, then comes back and says there is copy of the software on my pc that it will have to be uninstalled, select yes or no.
he had me select yes, it then comes back and says this action can only be completed on software that is installed.
after about 30 minutes, he said there was nothing else he knew to do that i would have to completed reformat and reload everything on my pc.
PLease help, anyone have any ideas what i can do.

Is there a reason that you couldn't un-install the program the normal way the first time (using windows add/remove programs)?

Obviously you can't re-install because RSLogix sees something remaining from the original installation. After running the cleaup program did you make sure that the folder/files in your "Program Files" directory for Logix 500 are gone? If not, I'd delete them.

It may also help to manually search the registry and delete any references to the program or its directory. Just make sure to back-up your registry first (I would create a windows restore point as well just to be safe).

when i tried to run the rslogix software, it would pop up a window that needed to run setup.exe and it would show a path of 1.
I would cancel out of that, same thing, after i cancelled out a couple of times then the software would start and run.
i called ab tech support and the ab tech support expert tole me i would have to download that utility from windows, and he talked me through it. downloaded it, ran it and now can not install the core.exe file, it tries but thinks it is still on my pc.
anyone have any advice
thanks

Depending on how comfortable you are with the Windows Registry you can probably fix this.

Find this key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software

Underneath that key may still be a RsLogix 500 subkey. Delete that subkey.

thanks for info.
What i have had to do is take a older version of the software, ver 6.1 and install it and then take a update cd to update it to 8.1 and everything installed.
I had not removed the activation for the original, but it did not reconize it.
I had to call ab tech support and chose to speak to a different engineer. He told me that ab would have to transfer my software to be activated online and would send me a certificate in next few minutes.

Now here is my question, after I activate this software using the online activation is there a way for me to transfer that to a usb memory stick. We sometimes get in places where you may not have access to a phone or internet for a couple of days and makes me nervous. I have also carried a copy of my ab software as well as the omron, siemens, etc on a external hard drive.

If your activation truly needs to be portable, then order a dongle.

If you might need to move it to another PC a couple of times per year, then you can use the rehost feature.

The license file is simply a text file and is derived from the NIC card or hard drive serial number, so it is only useful for that PC, and can be readily copied for safekeeping and restored. Also, as far as I know, if there is a problem with the license, the software will run with a warning for a grace period of 7 days.

Paul