Siemens S5 > S7 Communication

Jack Schit

Hi,

I'm looking to establish communication between a S5-95U and a S7300. I want to be able to read and write bits in the S5 through a HMI that is connected to the S7.

Can anyone advise which is the easiest way to establish communication between the 2 PLC's.

Thanks in advance

Jack

Hi Jack.

If I understand correctly, then you want to connect the HMI to the S5-95U. And your idea is to let the S7-300 be a go-between.

Unfortunately, even if there are some possibilities for S5-S7 comms, they are cumbersome. The possibilities with the S5-95U are limited.

In stead I suggest you connect the HMI directly to both the S7 and the S5.
If your HMI is from Siemens, your only possibility is a PC RT. The most panel-like solution right now is an IPC477 with a WinCC Flex RT.
There are several 3rd party suppliers that support both S5 and S7.

Thanks for the reply Jesper.

The HMI is a Siemens MP (not sure of exact model and I'm not in work at the moment, it could be a 370!) and has been in for a few years. Need to check if it will communicate directly with the S5-95U but I doubt it will.

Agreed, need to ditch the 95U but not likely to happen anytime soon! We have been using the Red Lion HMI's with our old S5 PLC's and they seem to be OK so far.

The MP370 actually do support the S5 via the AS511 protocol.
Recent panels such as MP377 do not.
Not sure if the cobination of ports allow to connect to S5 and S7 simultanously.

Would it be possible to connect the S5 & S7 via profibus then connect the HMI to the profibus.
Would need a S5 profibus module. Umm
HMI to S7 no problem. S7 to S5 via dp module or Rs232 but need a comms module for S7.
When connected S7 will have to pass through info to S5 - long way round.

If the HMI has a rs232 port on it you can buy a s5 programming cable from EBAY and plug this in if the screen has S5 drivers the MP port for the S7. Never done this as I was under the impression the screen could only talk on one port.

It is infact a MP370, I had just assumed it wouldn't be able to communicate with S5!.

However, when I try to set up another controller, ie PLC2, it does not give me the option to select an S5 driver. I only get the options to select S7 drivers.

Do I need to download and install the drivers seperately?

I am using ProTool V6.0 SP3

However, when I try to set up another controller, ie PLC2, it does not give me the option to select an S5 driver. I only get the options to select S7 drivers.
The problem is that even if S5 uses the IF1A port and S7 uses the IF1B port, the two ports are actually not independent of each other.

Any "solution" that keeps the S5-95U will be both cumbersome and expensive. I could give you some further suggestions, but my best advice is to replace the S5-95U with something newer. Even if you manage to get it to work, it is just a short term solution as everything S5 is disappearing over the horizon, fast.

wincc flexible let me configure two drivers on TP270. Both work fine.

panel.jpg

Last edited: