Darn these A-B RIO

Williyb

Ive just started learning about RIO lately, I have no expierence with them. I do have a basic undestanding how it works,but my question is "If I have 5 remote racks in the plant and I want to add one more, do I have to add it to the end of the cable or can I add it in the middle. I'm asumming I cant address it as though it was the last rack on the network." I did just that and cant get the 1747-asb to communicate, it goes thru the set-up and then shows no-com? I dont want to have to change the adressing of the next two racks, but it starting to look that way. Bear with me i'm trying to work thru this, I think I have the BTR,BTW figured out but I know I'm missing something.

You can add it anywhere you want physically (with some distance limitations), just make sure that you have terminating resistors on both ends.

Make sure that the ASB is set up for a rack# that is free, and within the range of that particular processor (ie. 1-17 for a 5/40). Older processors were not capable of talking to as many remote racks. I usually use the IO setup on the processor config. It will even generate the Block transfer rungs for you.

Also, make sure that the ASB is setup for all of the right paramaters (baud rate, chassis size, starting group, etc.) and that all of those settings make sense. Once again, the IO config in logix can help.

hi Willy,

you dont have to worry about BTRs and BTWs to begin with.
You have to get "hole thru" between your scanner (PLC5 ?) and your adapter (1474-ASB).

I assume that you have a PLC5 as the scanner. When you add another adapter you have to tell the PLC5 that it must scan it. It is probably this part that is missing.
In RSLogix, go to "IO Configuration". You should be able to see a list of the allready connected remote racks.
Right-click at the column called "NAME" and choose "Add chassis". You should then fill in the various menupoints to match the dip switches on the 1747-ASB. Experiment a little and you will soon figure everything out.

If you get a green light on the 1474-ASB module, then you are OK, you should be able to "see" the IO in the chassis from RSLogix. At this stage you can begin to program your BTRs and BTWs for analog IO and such.