ABB PLCs in North America..who knows..

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone shed any light on the status of marketing and support of ABB PLCs in the North American market.
Like others, I have seen ABB PLCs in off-shore equipment, but I can't say that I've seen anything in equipment built in the USA.
ABB drives (ACS, etc.) and ABB robots, of course.
But no PLCs.
Any enlightenment would be helpful.

(The reason I ask is because one of our business 'partners' from Europe is sending his equipment to us with ABB PLCs and expecting the they will be supported (and supportable) in the US.)

ABB within the last two years has put into place full support for their AC500 PLC's. They also are trying hard to market them to new American markets.

The PLC's, as I understand them, are not "go anywhere, do anything" devices but rather, have strong features and some weak ones. Particularly, they are not capable of a lot of fancy motion control.

I'm just an ABB drives guy but I do overhear a lot of traffic related to other ABB product lines and that's what I've heard on the PLC's.

I had an ABB rep come by about a year ago and show me the ABB PLC's. I was interested and he was going to send me some demo software and more info but I never heard back from him. Maybe their marketing isn't very strong.