1784-pcm5

The Plc Kid

I have an allen bradley 1784-PCM5 cable and i can not see to find any info on what it goes to. I have foud a lot of info on 1784-PBM5/B but my cable does not have the B designation.

I know this attaches to a pcmk card but my pcmk card is a series b was the 1784-PCM5 cable for the pcmk series a?

What is the main difference between series a and b pcmk card.If this is correct why was the cardend connector changed?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but i can't seem to find much info on the series a pcmk or 1784-pcm5.

The first PCMK card was a series A. It had a wider connector to it. I also recall something about the B series supporting the higher baud rate.

PCM5 cables come in both series A and series B, to fit the PCMK series A or series B card.

As Mark noted, the connectors are different between series. If your cable is a series B, the label will read PCM5/B.

Excerpted from page 1-4 in http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um519_-en-p.pdf -

Enhancements to the 1784-PCMK/ B Card
The 1784-PCMK/B card contains new enhancements that were not contained in the 1784-PCMK/A card. The PCMK/B card:
•is a 16-bit card.
•connects with a new series of cables using locking connectors.
•will work with newer notebook computers that use PCI bus technology.
•has new updated drivers.
•can be used in conjunction with the PCMK/A card.
Dual PCMK cards are not supported on all operating systems. Refer to specific operating system chapters for details.
•contains DH+ support at 230 Kbps.
•contains remote I/O scanner capabilities.

IMPORTANT
The PCMK/B card will not connect with the Series A cables. Please verify that you are using the correct Series B cables when connecting to the PCMK/ B card.

I have an old series a cable but a series b card and cable. I guess something happened to the series a card before my time here. Now i know what the cable goes to.

Any reason to hang on to the old cable?

I found the series a card that ges with it. I have several series b setups also.

Any advantage to keeping the series a setups?

Can they be used somewhere the series b can't or are there some situations where the series a may be better?

I think the A will only work at 56K and the B will go up to 230K

Other then that I do not think there is much of a difference, so no need to hang on to the others unless you just want them for back up.... I have most of mine set for 56 anyway so the A works for me just fine