Low Cost Text display

Ventax

I am looking for some recommendations for a 1 or 2 line by 20 character text display compatible with a SLC 503 or 504. I just want a fault display with no bells or whistles, possibly with 2 buttons but not essential.

Thank you for your input.

Wow, for that price you can get a 5.7" TFT color touchscreen with 5 Function Keys:

http://hmi.beijerelectronics.com/we...AllDocuments/048FBC3F8BABD59AC1257392003635C5

<disclaimer : I work for a Beijer Distributor >

You are right. I overlooked the "possibly with 2 buttons" part. The Vorne displays are great if you need to read at a distance, and are very durable, cheaper replacements for the A/B DL series, and are easy to drive from a parallel output (dc output card w/canned messages) or a serial port.

But if it's going right in front of the operator, buy a full blown HMI for the job...

Paul

HI,
Features:

• Clear 2x16 character display
  • Turn backlighting on or off with a single command
  • Directly supports ASCII DEC characters 32-127
  • Eight user-definable custom characters
  • Move the cursor anywhere on the display with a single command
  • Baud mode selector and adjustable contrast on the back of the display
Application Ideas:

• Professional-looking text user interface on any microcontroller application
  • Easy serial debugging without a PC
  • Real-time sensor data output on autonomous robots
Key Specifications:

• Power requirements: +5 VDC, 20 mA (light off), 80 mA (light on)
  • Selectable asynchronous serial baud rates: 2400, 9600, 19200
  • Dimensions: Approx. 1.5 x 3.15 in (38 x 80 mm) NOTE: Board and LCD size and style may vary
  • Operating temp range: -4 to +158 °F (-20 to +70°C)

$29.99

Bare Bones text display unit. No mounting enclosure included at all. I ran one off of a SLC504 serial port for a few hours just messing around. Get a 5VDC power supply & a little enclosure & your good to go for a hundred bucks or less. They look better in person with the backlight on.

BD

Serial_LCD.jpg

Thanks for the ideas. This is for a fault display on a remote panel. The Optimate looks good. The parallax is tempying but I'm going to test one before adding it to a project