New to PLC

acadd

I am new to plc and would like some help on which way I should go. I am looking to be able to control (2) 10 volt dc signals, one controls speed on a machine and the other controls power to a laser. I will need to be able for the both of them to go from 0 to 10V at the same time but and different settings. Example would be if I need speed to go to 5v and then power to go to 3v and to be adjustable at any time. I hope this makes sense but again I am new to this.

You didn't specify what kind of time base or response time (assuming some kind of input to trigger output changes) you would need for analog control, but normally a PLC with analog outputs could do what you are asking.

You are simply defining the need for two separate analog outputs with 0-10VDC capability. I am sure that is just a portion of your requirements. You need to sit down and list all the requirements of your system. First your Inputs and Outputs (I/O) to the system and then the functional requirements of the system. Then you can start looking for a system that matches your needs. Come back with that info and I am sure you will have many opinions on which way to go.

Thanks for the reply

You didn't specify what kind of time base or response time (assuming some kind of input to trigger output changes) you would need for analog control, but normally a PLC with analog outputs could do what you are asking.

What I am looking for is a way that will ramp up the speed and power in about 5 seconds and also ramp it down in the same time frame, right now I am using pots to control the different voltage that goes to each device by using a selector switch and I have it hook to 5 different pots that are set to different setting. I would like to replace this with a simple plc.

What I am looking for is a way that will ramp up the speed and power in about 5 seconds and also ramp it down in the same time frame, right now I am using pots to control the different voltage that goes to each device by using a selector switch and I have it hook to 5 different pots that are set to different setting. I would like to replace this with a simple plc.

should be no problem for most all plcs. did you have one specifically in mind?

This where I'm a little behind the times because the projects I do are too big for the smaller brick style plcs. Anyone else care to recommend something with 2 analog outputs?

Lots of different PLC's can do this job.

Several Micro Logic PLC's from Allen Bradley can do this.

Same can be said for Siemens, Automation Direct, Omron, Mitsubishi and the list goes on.
Since you have siad you have no PLC experience my suggestion is use a PLC someone can help you with were you are at.

From the details you have given so far I am not sure what PLC couldn't do what you want.

No, somthing simple and cheap of course. Do you recommend one.

The Click series PLC from Automation Direct.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-02DD2-D

You will also need a power supply.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/Power_Supplies/C0-01AC

Software is free. Phone support is excellent. Many forum members are familiar with ADC products and are willing to help or nudge you in the right direction to complete your project.

Thank-you for the help, will I also need a touch screen device of some kind to operate the ramp up and down or do I write the program by using a pc and then have a button to execute the program in the plc

Thank-you for the help, will I also need a touch screen device of some kind to operate the ramp up and down or do I write the program by using a pc and then have a button to execute the program in the plc

A PLC program runs constantly, over and over. You use a push button or some other signal to trigger your ramping or other desired function.

The Automation direct Click sounds like it would work fine. I haven't used the Click series personally, but have heard good things about it.

Another to consider would be the Horner XLe105. It has 2 analog outputs, 2 analog inputs, and several digital ins and outs. It also has the HMI built in. It's not a touchscreen, but they are fairly inexpensive (but the price of the Click is hard to beat).