Micrologic Comm Question

Clay B.

Lifetime Supporting Member
I had a customer ask me if a Micro Logic could talk on 2 seperate networks. Acording to him their current Control Logic system has a network for the HMI's and another for the PLC I/O's. He says they can "stack" them in the Control Logic. I assume he means he can configure 2 networks in factory talk.

I have never done this so I am kind of unsure what he is talking about. Can someone please explaine the "stacking" he is refering to and if a Micro Logic can be configured to do the same thing.

While we are waiting for the gurus to check-in...

I am no ML Comms Expert but depending on which one you have and if it has two comm ports then I would think you could.
You could set up MSG or maybe point a PVP to it if it has Ethernet.
Just throwing ideas out..and I haven't heard the term "stack" not that means much.

Hope this helps

They wer talking ethernet networks. Aparently they use wireless radios on their equipment and the IP address for the HMI "network" is different from the PLC "network". I have seen places where the office netwrok was seperate from the PLC network and you had a dedicated server that went between the 2 but from his discription this was taking place in the Control Logic PLC itself. I have not worked with Control Logic PLc's in awhile and ethernet is not exactly my strong suit. As for the Micro Logic PLC I have not selected one yet but I was looking at either the ML1100 or ML1400. Both of these have an ethernet prot talking ethernet/ip.

by "stack" I am sure he meant that he is putting two ethernet cards in the controllogix rack. that was a thing that we did on some of our bigger facilities that had alot of panelviews.

Im not aware of anyway to have two ethernet ports on a micrologix. you could possibly use a net eni/digi/lantronix for one network via the serial port and then the micrologix built in ethernet port for the other

The ControlLogix uses communication modules that are separate from the controller; you can include as many as 16 Communications Modules (1756-ENBT, 1756-CNB, 1756-DNB, 1756-DHRIO) in a chassis with a controller.

MicroLogix does not use modular communications; MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 have a single built-in Ethernet port.

I have seen the mechanism of adding a 1761-NET-ENI to the controller's serial port in order to "get a second Ethernet port".

I prefer to take the bull by the horns and provide a true network router or network gateway if I need to access multiple IP networks. This is especially true when there is a radio network involved; I strongly prefer to have the ability to filter and restrict the traffic that goes onto my radio network.

The ControlLogix uses communication modules that are separate from the controller; you can include as many as 16 Communications Modules (1756-ENBT, 1756-CNB, 1756-DNB, 1756-DHRIO) in a chassis with a controller.

MicroLogix does not use modular communications; MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 have a single built-in Ethernet port.

I have seen the mechanism of adding a 1761-NET-ENI to the controller's serial port in order to "get a second Ethernet port".

I prefer to take the bull by the horns and provide a true network router or network gateway if I need to access multiple IP networks. This is especially true when there is a radio network involved; I strongly prefer to have the ability to filter and restrict the traffic that goes onto my radio network.
So it is a harware thing and not something internal to the Control Logix.

So the best thing for the Micro Logix would be a gateway device.

Looks like I still have more reasearch on this.

So far I am looking at 2 Micro Logix PLC's (probably 1400's) a radio for each and a panel view talking driectly to one before the Radio.

The reason I am using 2 PLC's is that the system requires 2 mobil conveyor skids with I/O on each. The customer needs these to talk to a Control Logix that controls the system my conveyours feed. The panel view I will be using just controls local functions.

Thanks for the help guys.