Screwed up PLC, slow starting RSL5000 and RSLnx

tomalbright

Using a work PC, formatting and reinstalling would be nice, but not sure I can do that yet. RSL5000 takes a full 10 minutes to load up to the main screen. RSLinx takes about 5 minutes or so.

I suspect this is due to Factorytalk, but can't verify it. Is thre any way to speed this up? Note that the other person besides me that uses this saw it was a good thing to change the login name, on the fly. I suspect the programs have basically lost their mind as far as who the owner is. RSViewSE won't load either, and all the activations are present.

...sigh... need to get this formatted, I believe. I can use RSL5000, just leave it running for a week...

Herm...

I'm guessing that you don't have trouble with any other software (non rockwell)?

Do you have a wireless connection? One of our guys found, on his computer at least, that when his wireless connection was enabled that Logix5000 took forever to load. I've never had that happen, but it's repeatable on his.

Everything else seems to work fine. I checked the wireless, I did have the external switch set to "OFF". I disabled the wireless port this time just to make sure, but so far same thing.

It's all Rockwell. We tried reinstalling Factorytalk and RSViewSE, but same thing happens. RSL5000 works fine, just have to wait for it. I think the problem is really deep, unless someone has a fix for this. I might try to get it to the IT department for repair.

ETA: the activations simply don't work. They are all installed, but the software doesn't see them.

Last edited:
Just some wild guesses here. It sounds like it is running short on memory. Maybe the vitual memory management option has been changed or possibly a Ram memory module has somehow gotten unseated in its slot. Maybe somehow the cache feature in bios is set wrong. I hope you find the trouble, good luck.

Apparently that site is blocked, I'll look at it later. Anything about a level surface and a sledge hammer? I need containment to keep from polluting the gulf, too.

Copied from Mr.PLC.com

Check out Rockwell Software -> Utilities -> Activation Help.
Once you have help open, take the Network Installation link, and at the bottom you will see a link for Set CHECKDRIVES. That gives you a pretty good explanation of what to do and how to do it.

But I like the level surface and sledge hammer approach.

Tom

Go to add/remove programs and see if you have activation client installed
If you do, remove it and install activation server instead
this should take care of your issue

Apparently that site is blocked, I'll look at it later. Anything about a level surface and a sledge hammer? I need containment to keep from polluting the gulf, too.

From link above

The most usual reason for this is that it's looking for the activation files on all available drives, including network drives that might not be hooked up. That can take a very long time.

There is an environment file called rocksoft.ini in the /Windows folder, with a section like this:

[Common]
Path=C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software,C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon
KEYDISK=FALSE
CHECKDRIVES=C
[Applications]
RSLinx=C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\RSLinx.exe

The KEYDISK=FALSE stops activation looking on the floppy drive first., and the Checkdrives function tells RSI products where to look for the activation. If this is not present, it will check all drives.

This post has been edited by Ken Roach: May 19 2006, 08:21 AM

This always work for me:

Right click on My computer ->Properties -> Advanced
Click on Enviroment Variables button

In "user variables" click NEW

Var: CHECKDRIVES
Value: C (or CA if floppy used)

Save, Reboot.

This post has been edited by Contr_Conn: May 23 2006, 11:24 AM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Reading the above my mind says that the harmony files in RSLinx are giving a problem ,but I cant remember which 2 files it is that you delete, I believe they are Cache files.

Did another search and this is what I was thinking of it was posted by Mickey last year.

A shot in the dark but can't hurt to try. See below. Shut down RSLinx and delete the harmony files.

Uncheck autobrowse and delete the driver before doing the below. Then try to add again.

DELETE HARMONY Files;
(it may be necessary to Reboot the computer first)
- Find Files or Folders;
- Search; HARMONY*.*
(typically they will be found in C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCOMMON)
- DELETE both;
HARMONY.HRC
HARMONY.RSH
(RSLinx will recreate these files automatically)

Last edited:
Contr_Conn would changing that to server cause issues with the activations?
No it will not do anything with your activation, but it will resolve the issue
Checkdrives solution is for evrsi (master disk) type activation, it will not have any effects ot ft activation

See tn 46109

So far nothing suggested works. I don't have the activation server or client running. Do I need the sctivation server? What is the program for that?

If you have latest RSview installed then it will be looking for activation server first after that for masterdisk activations
If you still using master disk then I recommend you to convert all your activations to FT activation and this should take care of theis problem.
Call techsupport and select activations - they should be able to help you.

I am not sure about link in previous post, here is correct link
http://licensing.software.rockwell.com/Default.aspx?Page=Downloads

Last edited: