RSLogix 5

Depends, if your dealing with PLC 5's then you need Rslogix 5. Control/Compact Logix you need 5000. SLC's and Micrologix you need 500.

g1956j,

you ask a question that's hard to answer and here's why.
our plant has the following plc's:

GE,Omron, Automation Direct, AB Slc 100/150, Micrologix family (1000, 1100, 1200, 1400), Slc 500's, PLC 2's, Plc 5's

i have to know hot to program all of them and modify the programs. each plant will be different and each part of the country will be different. in west Tennessee, AB is well supported, but in another part of the country, it's seimens.

PLC5 software is still current.

hope this helps,
james

as James just said, it really depends on what platform you'll be working with in the future ...

IF (that's a big IF) I were just starting out today and wanted to stay as "flexible" as possible, I'd go with RSLogix5000 (the "latest" even if not necessarily the "greatest") ...

but ...

I can tell you this: about 90% of my customers are still demanding classes for the much older RSLogix5 and RSLogix500 packages ... there are literally TONS of the older hardware out there – still faithfully chugging along – and nobody is likely to tear it all out and replace it just because something newer is available ...

going further:

if you decide that RSLogix5 is what you need/want, then consider the very similar RSLogix500 package ... it's roughly 1/3 (or less) in price ... the biggest difference is in the way the analog signals are processed – but other than that, whatever you learn on RSLogix500 will be almost directly applicable to RSLogix5 (if you ever need to move up) ...

note that the same rule of thumb does NOT apply to the RSLogix5000 package ... cross-training to/from that one usually takes a little/lot more time and effort ...

hope this helps ...