two phase synchronous motor controller

theDave2

I need to control the speed of a 60 Hz, 72 rpm, 120vac, two phase (yes that's right) synchronous motor.

See http://www.motorvalley.kr/product/motor/stepmotor/data/2-109.111.pdf for the data sheet of this type of motor.

The actual motor I need to use does not have the R-C combo built in. It's a Superior X250.

I found one company that had a controller, thought I bookmarked it, but alas cannot find it again.

Dave

I've only seen these in fixed speed applications. It looks like you can vary the speed by changing the frequency. Click on the Designers Guide link on this page for more info. The distributor in the link might have a controller.

Thanks, I've got that guide. Yes, changing the frequency is the way to change the speed.

Trouble is that the phases are 90deg. apart, not 120deg like in a 3phase vfd.

Dave

You can call it want you want, but this synchronous AC motor is nothing more than a fancy single phase perm cap motor. In stead of a squirrel cage rotor, it has a set of permanent magnets. The resistor is added to make it easier for the rotor to lock on to the stator's rotational magnetic field.

The X250 needs a 6.5µF cap and a 150 Ohms/50 Watts resistor. You can check the manual here. No need to change the RC values when changing speed with a dedicated VFD. In fact, Danaher Motion has the Bronco VFD series, just like Donvw already mentioned.

The X250 needs a 6.5µF cap and a 150 Ohms/50 Watts resistor.

That's for running at 60 Hz and will give a 90 deg phase shift on the second winding. I fail to see why one would think that at different speeds , ie. frequency's, that the same R/C combo would shift the phase the same angle amount.