Mitsubishi fx-48mr

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a machine that is being controlled by a Mitsubishi fx-48mr plc. A couple of the outputs are staying closed regardless of the plc instruction. I can take the plc out of run mode and the output is still active (contacts stuck together). I understand that the fx model is no longer available, and my supplier has suggested that I upgrade to the fx3u model. The original plc has a 25 d-shell for programming, and the new model uses the round din style connector. The current systems uses an older MTA-G1 HMI. The cable between the hmi and plc is a 25 pin D-Shell.
Does anyone know if I can get a cable to use between this older hmi and fx3u processor, or do i also need to upgrade the screen.

Derek

You may use FX2N or probably even FX1N (if there are no incompatible advanced instructions in the FX program).
Both have the the same 8-pin Mini-Din port as FX3U.
I see no need to upgrade the HMI only because of different connector, just get a compatible cable.
Be careful though, as the HMI software may not support newer PLC models, in which case you will be forced to upgrade the HMI, and not necessarily to Mitsubishi.

Sorry can't help with the HMI other than what Sergei has already stated.

Just a warning about relay outputs on Mitsubishi plcs, including FX3's: Pay close attention to the advice in the hardware manual about contact suppression for inductive loads. I've had problems with relatively small loads, so small I didn't think they'd require suppression but still managed to weld a couple of contacts together, fortunately had some spare outputs to play with - have you any spares on the plc you're thinking of replacing? Nowadays I tend to use interface relays.

Sorry can't help with the HMI other than what Sergei has already stated.

Just a warning about relay outputs on Mitsubishi plcs, including FX3's: Pay close attention to the advice in the hardware manual about contact suppression for inductive loads. I've had problems with relatively small loads, so small I didn't think they'd require suppression but still managed to weld a couple of contacts together, fortunately had some spare outputs to play with - have you any spares on the plc you're thinking of replacing? Nowadays I tend to use interface relays.

I had 1 spare that I had to use a couple of months ago because of the same problem.

I have contacted Mitsubishi tech support. 1 guy said it would work, couple other guys said possibly, and 1 other said it would not work. I have ordered the replacement PLC components, and will upgrade the HMI next week if need be.

Too late now I know - but it is quite possible and not too hard to repair and replace the faulty outputs on the FX.
Done quite a few in my time.....and as I remember, I replaced them with a higher current rated relay.