S7 symbol table file

dean_ham

Hi, quick question guys....

I work for an italian company and all the machines have a symbol table file in italian. Is it possible to insert a new symbol table file (in english) but still have the italian one there aswell. So us english speakers can actually understand the comments rarther than using google translate every 2 mins :). Anyone had experience doing this.

Thanks
Dean

Hello dean_ham.

No, you cannot change the symbols to have two languages at the same time. The nearest is to use the symbol comments for the other language.

Btw. if you start to modify the symbolic names, be sure to first set abolute address priority, run a consistency check, then modify the symbols, run consistency check again, and possible change back to symbolic address priority.

......or you could try this kludge:

1. BACK UP YOUR PROGRAM!

2. Select the top level 'Project' object and insert 2 new "S7 Program' objects.

3. Delete the Blocks folder, Sources folder and empty symbols table from within these new objects.

4. Rename these new program folders to something meaningful like 'Symbols - Italian' & 'Symbols- English'

5. Rename your original Italian language symbols table to 'Symbols - Italian'

6. Drag and drop this renamed symbols table into each of the new renamed program folders you have just created. (This will make copies not move it)

7. Rename the symbols table in the Symbols - English folder to .... Symbols - English 🙃 . This can now be translated to English at your leisure.

8. To change symbol languages, drag and drop either symbols table into the main S7 Program folder as required.

If your 'Blocks' folder is configured for Absolute Address Priority then you should be good to go. 🤞🏻

If your 'Blocks' folder is configured for Symbolic Address Priority then you'll need to run 'Block Consistency Check'
and then a 'Compile All' before opening any blocks after each change of symbol table.

To handle multiple languages for network titles, network comments and block interfaces, you can use the 'Manage Multilingual Texts' function in the main Options menu.

w1.PNG w2.PNG

Both above will work fine. I would suggest the following as a possible work around.

1. Copy and Paste symbol table into excel
2. Take the Italian Symbols and concatenate the symbol with the comment
3. Make this your comment
4. Generate English Comments in the Symbol column
5. Paste Whole thing back into Symbol table.

All the other stuff about absolute address priority etc applies as above. Now you have English Symbols with old Italian ones side by side.