Problems With Point I/O

The Plc Kid

I am about to begin an installation of about 15 remote I/O nodes. I was considering using point i/o with the ethernet ip safety modules.

Even when using hardwired safetys i have had a couple contractors tell me that they didi not like point i/o and that there were problems with it that rockwell did not want to admit to.

If i remember correctly point i/o did have some problems when first released but i would think that is not the case now.

Anyone here with installed bases of point i/o? Opinions?

I've been using 1734 PointIO here a lot over the last year, and actually love it. I do have some drops on (shudder) Ethernet, but most deployments are on ControlNet. The only problem I've had was when someone hooked up 120VAC to a 24VDC input module. That didn't go well, but only destroyed one input point.

The most annoying thing about it, is just getting the rack sizes set up correctly in the adapters, but that isn't really a problem, just confusing.

Bob

I was planning on using it over ethernet /ip and use the cip safety modules for door switchs. This machine has over 218 door switches.

A lot of hardwiring if we use flex i/o which is what the contractor wants to do.

How severe are your drops over ethernet? I was planning on using the new adapters with the built in switch in a ring topology.

Thoughts?

I have no issue with the Ethernet installations, it's just that they are all add-ons to CompactLogix processors, and so end up on the enterprise network, rather then a dedicated one.

I done 3 installations with point i/o, 2 with ethernet and 1 with profibus. No real problems with either. The only advice would be to stock some spare communications modules as they can be very hard to get quickly.