CITECT SCADA to OMRON C200HG

bshone

Hi,

We have two OMRON C200HG PLC's that control each of our EPG's (Diesel Generators). We understand that these controllers can communicate over two wire RS485 using the 'OMRON' protocol.

We are looking for a cost effective gateway device or RTU that can make the EPG visible to CITECT SCADA ie analog readings (phase volts), binary values like on load, low coolant etc. We'd also like to be able to do remote testing (start/stop).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brett
NMS Team
Soul/TPG (Australia)

You can communicate with RS422 multidrop if you wish without buiying any other drivers/middleware. Have done that before to 7 Omron PLCs on 1 job but it is dreadfully slow. Another job had 9 PLCs and I used a Digi board to get a direct connection to each PLC to try to get some speed out of the RS422 serial connections. 12 second response time in Citect is not real flash I can assure you. Replaced the lot with Sysmac Link on 1 of them - would use Controller Link these days or Ethernet.
Those particular jobs are diesel generators - big part of my business.
On 1 of the jobs 2 PLCs are now on Ethernet and the other 5 still on RS422. The RS422 keeps Citect and all comms stuff really busy and effectively kills the normal speed of Ethernet.
By the way, I use FINS Gateway (the new one is Sysmac Gateway - have not used that yet) and that enables you to use the FINS driver in Citect. Bit of setting up though but you can use serial, Controller Link, Ethernet all at the same time back to Citect. Cost a bit to buy the Gateway from Omron though.
Another option would be OPC - not my favourite but it does work.

Last edited: