AB Firmware versions 15,16,17

PLC_Time

I am getting conflicting information from AB about their firmware versions. I am told on the conservative side to not go past version 15, and told on the other end that 17 is stable. Does anyone have any insight on a contrologix setup using servo drives the stability with version 15,16,17?

Thanks!

We have been revision locked on V16 for quite a while now, with no problems. So far, we have no installations of V17, due to older processors hanging around yet.

I trust 15.04, 16.21, and 17.03 firmware for the 1756-L6x controllers.

I will use any of those three depending on installed base, but prefer to use V17 if it's an option. The AOI support and drives integration are so nice that it makes it hard to go back to v15.

We are using 16.21 with ControlLogix trouble free.

Unless people can cite specific repeatable problems, I always take information in regards to firmware with a grain of salt. It's easy to jump on the 'firmware problem' bandwagon.

I am not hung up on going to a newer version, my concern is more around when the current CPU dies sometime into the future. I dobut we can get a PLC with firmware 13 and in 16 I am told for setting up motion you have to do extra work, you cant leave some of the registers to the new default settings.

I realize it could be 5+ years out before one dies and then the plant may be well beyond our current 16.21 I would like to goto on this oddball machine...

The people to do the work are not wanting to upgrade due to SFC sequence problems with 16&17. Anyone heard of this?

I'm pretty sure you can load all the way back to v12 onto a 1756-L6x controller, Series A or B. The firmware update page will show you for sure.

I think the SFC bugs had to do with forcing... I can't speak with authority on that.