PanelBuilder32 Remember numeric entry?

wildcatherder

I am using PanelBuilder32 with a PanelView 1000. Some numeric entry fields "remember" their previous values after a download from PanelBuilder32 and others have to be re-entered. None of these numeric entry fields have a non-default value in "Tag Initial Value" for the tags, i.e they are all "0".

Applications Settings - Power-Up - "Write to Controller on Startup" is NOT checked.

I am using RSLogix 500 on a MicroLogix 1400 and do not use any code that writes the values for the fields that do get remembered.

What is the trick to get the value remembered for all numeric entry fields?

It is a tremendous annoyance to have to go through the screens and re-enter values after every layout correction.

In Panelbuilder32 look at the tag editor for those tags that are not showing a value on start-up. Check to see if they have a "Display Tag" configured. Display tags show the contents of the PLC's register. ( see online help for more info) See picture below.

displayTag.jpg

Perhaps your PLC Code is clearing some, and not others. If the location is zero, that is what the PanelView will display. Just a thought.

Stu......

I was not aware that a PanelView had retentative data. But I could be wrong.

Post your .PBA file ( zip it first) and someone may be able to spot something.

Posting PBA in ZIP form as requested

As I said, one group of numeric entries retains its value and others do not. The first set did not retain its entries initially and "suddenly" starting doing so. I'm downloading changes a couple of times an hour and was working on other screens, so I did not notice exactly when they started being retained.

Note for uploaded file - Entries on Durations screen (screen 2) are retained. Entries on Analog Set (may show as ROC Variables - screen 3) are not.

As I said, one group of numeric entries retains its value and others do not. The first set did not retain its entries initially and "suddenly" starting doing so. I'm downloading changes a couple of times an hour and was working on other screens, so I did not notice exactly when they started being retained.

Unfortunately I can't open the file it gives me a corrupted file error.
But from the above statement you say they are all working as expected?

Resubmit PBA as zip

I tested my ZIP file which was compresses as a "normal" ZIP using WinRAR by opening it. So, I have re-submitted the zip file. Hope it will open this time.

Yes, the numeric entry fields work OK in the program logic.

I checked again to be sure that I was not writing to any the addresses involved and I'm not. One is used as the Source in MOV. The others are used in comparisons.

The weird thing is that I can see a fleeting glimpse of the old values before they are changed to zero when I open the screen involved. That's why I double-checked the program for writes. Something is writing zero over the value but it is not in my code.

Take a look at tag editor and see how some of the integer tags are not the same. Are these the same ones that are different?
George

I still can't open it , but maybe something to do with WinZip (thats what I have)? Thier's a knowledgebase about the error I'm getting but you need a tech connect to view it.

I still don't believe a PanelView has retentive data, maybe the AB PanelView experts will check in on that.

The primary difference between the two screens is that the entered data on Durations is Unsigned Integers. The entered data on ROC Variables is IEEE floating point. I would hope that would not make a difference in data retention.

If Mickey can read RAR and the forum will accept it, I could try to upload that form of compression.

I have seen this before especially with control lists, but also with numeric entry inputs.

I found that if I did not want to afford the weak Comms driver in the Panelview Standard the opportunity to lie to me about the contents of a plc register, it was best to leave the display tag blank.

Now this doesn't help with their control lists following a power cycle or download of the panelview, so those required the use of the handshake and notification tags in order to keep the pos honest.

If I recall correctly, I ended up using all the tags (notify and handshake plus PLC logic to do the manipulation) and switching to piloted control lists to ensure that the displayed items were accurate.

Of course that adds 18 bits to every integer and 34 to every float, but may not be necessary for strictly numeric input fields.

You'd think that the driver would be smart enough to display only ???? until all tags on scan had been read and verified first, but not in a Panelview Standard...

I also remember seeing the effect only with some tags, and not all of them.

Bottom line, first try using only the write tag on numeric entry objects, and only the display tag on display obects...leave the other tag fields blank.

If that doesn't fix it, go with the memory hog method and use all the control tags for everything...

Paul

EDIT:
wildcatter said:
If Mickey can read RAR and the forum will accept it, I could try to upload that form of compression.

Try just right clicking the file, send to, compressed folder...(Windows standard compression utility.)

Last edited:
Mikey: PV do retain _some_ user data over a power cycle. See 'Power Up' under application settings, and related Help tab. Like Okie, I don't trust it. It's Panel_View_, not a Panel_Control_. I let the PLC do the thinking and remembering. Write on Startup comes into play here.

Catherder: I see you have 'Load from Card' on power up turned ON. There is less-than-clear info in the HELP file about this clearing terminal states if the button is checked. Doesn't explain why some are retained and others not.

Are you using power-cycle and a memory card to up load app? If so, maybe using the Memory card dialog would change things? If you see the old, desired values momentarily, the PV has to be fetching the new ones from somewhere (?).

Also, to separate the cats from the kittens, have you watched the PLC registers as the PV is booting / screen is loading to see _when_ the value is actually changed?

The help file says something about (less-than-clear, again) preset values being saved in the object dialog, and they make the distinction explicitly between 'preset' and 'Tag Initial Value'

Lastly, you had a Rockwell Technote ID. I've got access...