XP SP3 and PIC/AIC driver

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Here is the thread that sparked this one.

Basically the file serenum.sys seems to be the root of the SP3 issue with the PIC/AIC driver. It needs to be replaced with the SP2 version of the file and the driver works fine. The trick is that the file resides in two locations, and if the one if the System32/Drivers folder is modified, it is automatically replaced by a backup one.

I made this ugly looking utility to backup the SP3 version, and then copy in the SP2 version. It can be also put back to normal with this utility, just in case. I have verified on two machines that it works. I have applied and removed it many times on about 8 machines without any issue. Honestly, there isn't much to it to go wrong. If you try running it on a machine that doesn't have SP3, it will prevent you from applying it.

It doesn't look the prettiest because I'm lazy and not too creative. Have at it though.

View attachment AB PIC SP3Fix.zip

Dustin

^^^^^^^^
Big bump up. :)

I started using this file a couple of months ago and it works great. I recently reformatted my hard drive and started all over. Laptop is running sweet now but I misplaced Dustin's SP3 fix for the 1747-UIC. It took me a few searches to find this thread so I thought I'd post to bump it up.

Dustin - thanks for your utility!!!

Hey no prob, glad I could help.

We have a few service techs that still use the PIC boxes fairly often so we had to do something. I figured rather than having instructions for them, I'd just make something to do it for them.

Interesting.

Do you know if it will work on a machine that was “born” with XP Pro SP3?

I have one at work running iFix for a refrigeration system. It has a real serial port available, but I had no luck getting the serenum.sys driver reverted successfully. I didn't want to tamper with windows file protection, which would replace the old serenum file with the new one, even though I blew away both copies. There is a 3rd location, a .cab file IIRC, that I also didn't know how to update. I read up on some command line and registry edits that might work, but it wasn't crystal clear to me so I did not risk it.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

I'd try it. Dustin's utility will put it back the way it was if it doesn't work. Meaning if the patch is applied and you run his executable, it will tell you that and offer a way to revert back to the SP3 files.

Now my disclaimer: Make an Acronis or Ghost image first. :)

Paul,

My application has the SP2 and SP3 files compiled in it. So it should rename the original file and use my copy of the SP2 file in both locations. It should work fine. The code is really simple so there isn't much that can go wrong. If it gives you an error, let me know.

I have done the same thing with the serenum file, for a box using rslinx as an opc sever. Whilst this does work, we do get the xp compatibility warning each time the pc restarts, is this a normal occurence that you guys see?

Paul,

My application has the SP2 and SP3 files compiled in it. So it should rename the original file and use my copy of the SP2 file in both locations. It should work fine. The code is really simple so there isn't much that can go wrong. If it gives you an error, let me know.

I will give it a shot sometime this coming week and let you know how it works out.

I have done the same thing with the serenum file, for a box using rslinx as an opc sever. Whilst this does work, we do get the xp compatibility warning each time the pc restarts, is this a normal occurence that you guys see?

Would it be possible to post a screen shot of the error?

I know the PIC driver will give you a message that says the driver is not tested with windows (or something like that) and you must click continue anyway. This is is normal regardless of service pack or changes to serenum.sys. If this is the message,then it is normal.

It is the windows testing error, so normal as you state. Not a major, just something that some people have not seen before so are not aware of.

Paul,

Looks like it might need a way to handle when the original file can't be found to be renamed?

error.JPG

Attachments

• error.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 172
Herm, is it write protected? If so, I can probably do something about that. I just need to figure out what causes the error so I can recreate it.

edit: oh wait, it looks like it just couldn't find it. I'll have to check if it exists before trying to rename it. Amateur mistake!

Paul, could you search for that file and tell me where it finds it? This is the machine that came pre-installed with SP3 instead of updated to SP3 correct?