Christmas Light Control

ghack68695

I was looking at an old post from Ron Beauford on Christmas light control.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?postid=63303#post63303
I Modified it to work on a Micrologix 1761-L16AWA which has Triac outputs. Outputs O:0/0 and O:0/1 are relay outputs and the other ten are the triacs O:0/2 - O:0/11.
With this program it uses the first 6 outputs O:0/0 - O:0/5 but I really dont want to use the relay outputs only the triacs. I have tried to modify the SQO file by changing the Dest and the Length but still having the same results. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, George

If you don't want to use the first two outputs, you will have to shift all the bits in the N7:0 table over by two. What did you change the Dest and Length to? Can you post what you have?

ghack68695,

Please double check the PLC unit you have. The Micrologox 1761-L16AWA does not have triac outputs, only relay. Also it has 10 inputs and 6 outputs. The 1761-L32AAA does have the outputs you describe. If you have the L16AWA then you might save yourself some trouble.

Caution

I do this with a couple of 503’s but there is something you need to be careful of. I used to use Micros but noticed I would lose one or two outputs each year. I finally decided to look closer at the power requirements for the lights and while pretty low, the in-rush current is kinda high. I’ve found that one or two short strings are ok or one long string but nothing more than that or you will take out a triac output. If you want to play it safe and/or use more than two strings, you will need to use an interfacing relay.
You can see my display from Xmas 08 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_oyacBF1mw

you will also have to change the SQO destination to enable the SQO statement to send to the correct outputs Rons example is transmitting to output card in slot 3 the Micrologix does not have a third output card.

Last edited:
If you don't want to use the first two outputs, you will have to shift all the bits in the N7:0 table over by two. What did you change the Dest and Length to? Can you post what you have?

incorrect the mask disables which outputs not to use, by changing the mask to FFF0 the first two outputs do not get generated regardless of what data is in the N7 statement.

Edit you want fffc not fffO I misconverted hex to decimal previously if you want to only send to say 4 outputs but skip the first two then the mask will be so outputs 3 to 7 say for example the hex will be 3C

Last edited: