Repeat of ALB 1397 & SLC 5/04 question

chickman69

I am in the process of installing control upgrades for an extrusion line. I procured two new Allen-Bradley 1397 drives (one 150HP and one 30 HP) for the application. I have a SLC 5/04 running the line and I would like to integrate the drives through direct communication vs. analog & discrete I/O. I know the 1397's have direct communication capability with the PLC, but I have never done this before. Can anyone point me the right direction and/or give me some example logic to go by for talking to the drive? What hardware do I need for the communication? I have been searching the allen-bradley site for info, but I am getting no where. This is my first time posting to this site, so I hope there is someone out there who can help.

Thanks!

Chris

(re-posted since I wasn't logged in officially on my first post)

This sounds like a great application for a 1203-SM1 module. It has three SCANport plugs and goes right into the SLC chassis so you don't have to have a communication network card or configuration, just RSLogix 500. It's probably faster than any ControlNet or DeviceNet link could be to control the drives.

The main limitation is that SCANport cables can go only about 30 feet from the SLC controller.

Thanks for help!

After posting this yesterday, I managed to finally get a hold of one of the ALB automation reps at States Electric in Phoenix (our local ALB distributor - who turned me on to this site by the way). We discussed the application and he suggested going with the 1747-SN scanner card in the SLC rack, connected with blue hose to a 1203.GD1 module for each drive. In reviewing the manual 📚 as rsdoran indicated, reviewing the hardware connections with the rep 👨🏻‍🏫 and reading the posts to this message board :site: , it looks fairly straightforward (y) . I am a mechanical engineer 🔨 , new to PLC programming (entirely self-taught) :unsure: , and I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction utoh . Thanks for the input guys! :D

Which Dave?

Ken - Yes, BSE in Phoenix. I will pass on message, but I need to know which Dave you are referring to - Dave Sexton or Dave Cissna? I assume Dave Sexton, but I wanted to make sure before I said anything to either of them. How do you know (whichever) Dave?

Chris Hickman