1794-aent addressing

russrmartin

Hey guys, I have what is certainly an easy problem, but it kicked my butt for over an hour today. I have 5 new 1794-aent modules that I need to add to a system. I can configure an address with bootp, and the module shows up as functional in the project I/O tree. However, if I cycle power to the adapter, it loses the configured IP address. I know there must be something I need to do to get the devices to retain their IP config, but it's escaping me. I am using addresses 192.1.1.XXX. I have set the dip switches after configuring the module to match the last 3 digits of the IP I have configured, disabled bootp, DHCP, etc. and nothing seems to work. What am I forgetting? The installation manual sure makes it sound like I should be able to set it and forget it. Thanks.

Russ

I think I have an idea

Hey guys, I just consulted the user manual, and it elaborates a bit more on the config. It appears to me that I may have thought that I disabled the bootp option, but apparently I have not. I'll give it some due diligence tomorrow and see if I still have same issue.

Russ

Absolutely right, BOOTP will not automatically tell the AENT to remember the IP address.

After BOOTP has configured a device (whether you have done this manually, or via a relationship list), then you need to select the device again from the lower window, and click on the "Disable BOOTP" button.

And remember to write the address on the AENT label.....

Don't use the Thumbwheel Switches

You can only use the thumbwheel switches to set the IP address if you are using an IP address of 192.168.1.xxx. For your IP address, set the switches to something other than 1-254 and use BOOTP to set the address. As others have said, you then have to disable BOOTP.